Sundown Audio

Idea on a wiring diagram for 4+ subs to a single amp.

jakeryan

Excellent!

We made positive progress :good:

I meant no disrespect either...just erks me sometimes when somebody fights me about theory.

So the proper way to learn from this situation is to find out what you did wrong and apply that in the future.

If you have access to an ohmmeter (DMM) I really want to know what the final load on these 7 subs were?

If not then go back and try to work on your diagram again and post it up for us.

Some home amps won't have low impedance protection so they'll drive low loads until they fry which is possibly what happened.

The battery idea is a good one. Touch a small DC battery to the speaker terminals and the cone will pulse in or out once depending on which way you connect the battery.

Look at the cones and see which way they move. If some are opposite, then you're out of phase...bad.

As far as a 21" sub for home audio...yikes!

Music or home theater?

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Excellent!

We made positive progress :good:

I meant no disrespect either...just erks me sometimes when somebody fights me about theory.

So the proper way to learn from this situation is to find out what you did wrong and apply that in the future.

If you have access to an ohmmeter (DMM) I really want to know what the final load on these 7 subs were?

If not then go back and try to work on your diagram again and post it up for us.

Some home amps won't have low impedance protection so they'll drive low loads until they fry which is possibly what happened.

The battery idea is a good one. Touch a small DC battery to the speaker terminals and the cone will pulse in or out once depending on which way you connect the battery.

Look at the cones and see which way they move. If some are opposite, then you're out of phase...bad.

As far as a 21" sub for home audio...yikes!

Music or home theater?

MUSIC! haha I'm planning on overpowering it (slightly) so it can really push air. I want some extreme low end for songs like Hard in the Paint and Bass, I love you.

B.T.T.M

-Jake Ryan

So for everyone following this I'm breaking out my DMM meter and I will actually get an ohm measurement for everyone. I need a while to wire everything up and will test the battery thing. I'm pretty interested to see what I actually have too!

B.T.T.M

-Jake Ryan

Well I guess I just ate a big ol slice o humble pie. They all were reversed in polarity and the ohm reading was .7.....I got shit to learn lol

B.T.T.M

-Jake Ryan

i love the idea ive done the same thing in previous setups never in my own so im not really sure how it all worked out.. its pretty simple to understand. im studying electrical technologies in college right now and have messed with complex polarity's in class so i can only imagin getting all right shouldnt be that hard

Damn theory.................always wins :)

Thanks for checking, good learning experience, we've all been there.

If you thought the setup sounded good before.....change those polarity's so they're all in phase and try it again... :o

Just be careful on that volume knob, that's a LOW load, not responsible for what happens... :)

Look at some of the series/parallel charts that the others have posted.

You CAN wire a bunch of subs together for a reasonable load.

It'd be good experience to wire up and try different loads for future projects.

If you have the DMM, just wire and measure, you don't need to connect it to the amp if you're not sure.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Take your like as a yes? lol

Anyways, from your diagram it seems like part of what is confusing to you is basic electrical theory and not understanding how the current flows from your amp terminals through the speakers. You have your drawn wires colored red and black...I assume this is because you are thinking that the current flows from the positive terminal through the red wire color and then back through the other color and that is why you thought the woofers were all still in series. But in reality electricity is just going to flow through every path it can in inverse proportion to resistance presented along that path. So you cant decide which wires are going to send current which ways.

Read up on ohms law and practice with smaller numbers of woofers first. And as others have stated the 12volt wiring diagrams are a great reference as well

Team NorthWestSPL

Archived