Second Skin Audio

Need help with a 4th order bandpass box

Hello everyone, I am in the process of designing a 4th order bandpass box for my 2 Sundown Zv3 12s. This build will be mostly for SPL numbers but would still like to be able to play some music with it. I talked to Sundown and they said to use 1 cuft per sub for the sealed portion with a 3:1 ratio. So I have a box design with a sealed portion of 2 cuft and a ported portion of 6 cuft (all after displacement). The subs will be inverted firing into the sealed portion with the motor in the ported portion. The ported side will be 41" w x 20" d x 17" h (outside dimension). My question is about tunning. What should I tune the ported side to? Should I use a large rectangle port or round ports or aero ports? What port area per foot should I use? This is going in the trunk of my 2007 Ford Focus. The car peaks around 48hz. Any and all help will be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

teamlogo2small.jpg

2007 Ford Focus SES

Batteries - XS Power D3400 & D3100

Headunit - JVC Arsenal KD-A95BT

Sub Amp - Sundown SAZ-3500D

Sub - Two Custom Sundown Z v3 12"

Sub Box - Pulse Car Audio

NSPL Trunk 1801-3600 current world record holder - 150.6

remember your port is going to subtract from your ported enclosure volume unless its going to be external.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

if you're going for spl, we can't tell you port tuning, only a termlab can. start at 45 hz and change it up from there. go for 13-16 square inches of port area per ported cube.

Very true, but how does the tuning in a bandpass work. For straight ported boxes you tune below your frequency. It is the same for bandpass? I have heard the tuning should be higher like 50+. Thanks for the help

teamlogo2small.jpg

2007 Ford Focus SES

I just built a 4h order and its best to do a removable port so you can play around with the tuning until you find the right tuning for what you are trying to achieve. I thought tuning the ported side higher would result in a higher SPL score but it doesn't. So I would suggest you start out around 45-50hz tuning and go from there. From my testing so far I gained 3db going from a 60hz tuned port(No port plug) to 49hz tuning with the plug in. Now I'm going to try a port tuned around 43hz and see if I still increase. Be patient and do alot of testing to see when and where you gain. My 2 cents

Vehicle
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche(Co-Co)

DNX9980HD
6 Team Fi 15's(King Edition)
3 DC 9k's
8 Nendo PWX 8's
4 Custom Steg 4" Super Tweeters
1 DC Audio 175.4
1 DC Audio 90.4
Rockford 360.3
3 DC Power 370xp Alts(Externally regulated)
21 D1600's
2 D4800's
All SMD RCA's
AudioTechnix Deadner
Viper Alarm

My YouTube- http://www.youtube.c...NG?feature=mhee
Link to buildlog- http://www.stevemead...4-15s-2-dc-9ks/
Link to UBL- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165059-ublkings-avalanchecoco-new-build-starting8-king-edition-15-team-fis-in-a-wallyes-a-wall/

96576a0.jpg

Banner3_zpsa237d00a.jpg

I just built a 4h order and its best to do a removable port so you can play around with the tuning until you find the right tuning for what you are trying to achieve. I thought tuning the ported side higher would result in a higher SPL score but it doesn't. So I would suggest you start out around 45-50hz tuning and go from there. From my testing so far I gained 3db going from a 60hz tuned port(No port plug) to 49hz tuning with the plug in. Now I'm going to try a port tuned around 43hz and see if I still increase. Be patient and do alot of testing to see when and where you gain. My 2 cents

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to do the removable port. Would you go with a rectangle port or multiple round/aero ports? Also I will be using about 4k watts, is there anything I need to look out for or be aware of with that much power in a bandpass?

teamlogo2small.jpg

2007 Ford Focus SES

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to do the removable port. Would you go with a rectangle port or multiple round/aero ports? Also I will be using about 4k watts, is there anything I need to look out for or be aware of with that much power in a bandpass?

The type of port you use really is your preference. I have no experience with aero ports so I couldn't tell you the upside of using them. As for the power, it's just like with a normal ported box. The more power you run over RMS the smaller you want the enclosure for power handling. I'm running a DC 9K on 2 PSI P3 18's and I have no problems with my 2:1 ratio. Again I'm not the expert and every setup is different. So the only way to know what works is to try it and try it again.

Vehicle
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche(Co-Co)

DNX9980HD
6 Team Fi 15's(King Edition)
3 DC 9k's
8 Nendo PWX 8's
4 Custom Steg 4" Super Tweeters
1 DC Audio 175.4
1 DC Audio 90.4
Rockford 360.3
3 DC Power 370xp Alts(Externally regulated)
21 D1600's
2 D4800's
All SMD RCA's
AudioTechnix Deadner
Viper Alarm

My YouTube- http://www.youtube.c...NG?feature=mhee
Link to buildlog- http://www.stevemead...4-15s-2-dc-9ks/
Link to UBL- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165059-ublkings-avalanchecoco-new-build-starting8-king-edition-15-team-fis-in-a-wallyes-a-wall/

96576a0.jpg

Banner3_zpsa237d00a.jpg