Second Skin Audio

custom BL18 box built to spec sounds like crap

ncc74656

clean sierra i am looking for what boxes (with specs) others have used for there fi bl's. i thought i made that clear in the first post. the box is obviously custom, the sub is as custom as fi comes what with there optional extras and such.

dear god tell me you went daily not SPL....IF you got an SPL sub thats your problem (id guess) But either way, your builder doesn't know his shit....

EDIT: Hell, I've designed boxes for these before, never even got to hear it, only got to hear feedback from the customer who ordered the design, and I'm no pro, so your guy is a straight up hack. Why would you come here asking for advice if you're just going to defend your box builder? Why not just come here, ask around for some advice as to what size, how much port area, sub and port orientation, hell, maybe even get a design to try out and BUILD IT YOURSELF. Or design AND build it yourself, this way if it sucks, you know who to blame....

But if you got the SPL option, that would be your problem I'm assuming.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

i have faced computer subs into walls before to get more bass, i think the situation will be very similar to what is going to happen this fi sub in this box. i have never tried this with anything over a couple hundred watts and even when i did i felt the bass was less... responsive? not being able to hear some of the upper ranges of bass from the subs i suppose is what im getting at.

so the consensus is that the sub firing into a separate ported chamber is worse than the sub being upward or forward facing in the truck.

we had talked about cutting the seat and build a down firing sub, what are peoples experiences with such a technique? does it produce better/louder bass?

nothing, gutted

sticking to the spec of cubic ft space on fi's website?

^Yes.

Fi knows what size their boxes need to be. That's why they publish those numbers on their site.

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Pioneer 9400BH Fi Q 15, SAZ1500dV3

The first build>>> http://www.stevemead...-outback-build/

140.9 @ 36hz Sealed on dash!

REBUILT!!! 2 Fi Q 15s, 2 SAZ1500dv3 146.9 @ 39hz dBDRA certified

i have faced computer subs into walls before to get more bass, i think the situation will be very similar to what is going to happen this fi sub in this box. i have never tried this with anything over a couple hundred watts and even when i did i felt the bass was less... responsive? not being able to hear some of the upper ranges of bass from the subs i suppose is what im getting at.

so the consensus is that the sub firing into a separate ported chamber is worse than the sub being upward or forward facing in the truck.

we had talked about cutting the seat and build a down firing sub, what are peoples experiences with such a technique? does it produce better/louder bass?

yeah, no, you basically made a really really bad bandpass by putting it down like that. Here, just try and flip the box over, firing upwards, and see if it sounds better...see if opening that choking point helps out.

I have seen a mustang connvertible on this site with 4 10's firing into a 1" thick plexiglass loading wall about 10" from the sub, he won sotm and did 148db in a conv.

yeah, the subs had breathing room between the loading wall and the subs. thats why it worked.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

I have seen a mustang connvertible on this site with 4 10's firing into a 1" thick plexiglass loading wall about 10" from the sub, he won sotm and did 148db in a conv.

^What does that have to do with your situation???

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Pioneer 9400BH Fi Q 15, SAZ1500dV3

The first build>>> http://www.stevemead...-outback-build/

140.9 @ 36hz Sealed on dash!

REBUILT!!! 2 Fi Q 15s, 2 SAZ1500dv3 146.9 @ 39hz dBDRA certified

Have you ever heard a Fi BL before choosing to order one? A different style box can be made to work very well, besides a straight forward vented enclosure. However, for someone who hasn't heard enough car setups to know what he likes, simplly vented to a mid 30s frequency would work just fine. There are enclosures that play a flatter response, like 4th and 6th orders, but you have to know how to build them. Putting a loading wall right in front of that sub might not be the best idea.

On a side note, when you say your builder decided to add "another" port to optimize tuning, that's false. He should have had it designed properly tuned to a very specific frequency response BEFORE EVER MAKING A CUT INTO THE WOOD. He might be a hack, he might not be. You suggesting he added a port, all willy nilly, suggests he's a fucking hack.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived