SQ box design

mttornquist

Why not go with multiple smaller shorter & removable ports?

With one long port like that, you can't easily change the tune. If you have multiple small ports, you can lower the tune by simply removing ports.... just a thought.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Did some more designing work and here is what I came up with after quite a bit of playing around.

I figure I need to do areo ports if I want the tuning to be changeable.

torresjr.png

Shot at 2012-07-31

97950798.png

Shot at 2012-07-31

55759420.png

Shot at 2012-07-31

Give me some more feedback on the design!

Also, my amp is an audison lrx 4.300 and to adjust the subsonic filter you have to change resistors inside the amp itself, I would rather not mess with it if I dont have too. It comes set at 20 Hz would I need to change that to 24 or 26 Hz to run this box or would I be fine with it at 20 Hz?

I'm no Enclosure expert ... But I like it !!!

Kind of similar to mine ....

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Yeah I've read through your entire thread a couple times now! Haha

Im really happy with this design, spent a couple with the laptop in the garage and went through probably 10-12 different designs before settling on this one. I will probably stick with it unless there is an issue.

Could I have some insight on your system? You may say it but I haven't read every word, how do you do your processing on your system? Also are you running active?

Finally would I be good with the subsonic set at 20hz?

I'm no Enclosure expert ... But I like it !!!

Kind of similar to mine ....

It is starting to look familiar! :D

Looks good though- I mean to build something for my wife's car- and it will be similar to this, very low tune. I am very interested in how you come out with this one. :popcorn:

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I'm not going sealed man, I've read too much bad stuff about performance loss with it.

Thats up to you.. LOL @ performance loss though. you will lose spl yes, but i thought you were designing for sq?

There is plenty of reason to go sealed.. although id actually suggest passive radiators.

how do you do your processing on your system? Also are you running active?

Finally would I be good with the subsonic set at 20hz?

2 way passive component set with a center channel up front and yes, I have rears too ... No processing of any kind with minimal EQing and time alignment (time alignment is used only when being judged single seat competitions) But I am primarily a 2 seat judging competitor ...

Then we will mix in the 5.1 surround sound for movies to our demos every now and then ...

Ask Colin what he thinks about my truck playing the movie Real Steel ...

Also, I run a class A/B amp on my sub bass, so I wouldn't have any idea as to what you would set your subsonic to ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

^^^ sounds so sick man! Wish I was closer and could hear it!!

Did some reading up on passive radiators and that could be a good option! Need to do some more research and see how much they cost but it could be an option. I wish I could find more car audio builds with PRs though, seems like they are mostly used in home audio

In regards to your subsonic filter I would leave it at 20hz. You are tuned low and with only 220 watts i dont see you reaching the mechanical limits of that sub anytime soon. The only reason you would want to run subsonic would be if your sub seams to be unloading easily or unpredictably. For a SQ setup you want flat response all the way down to 20hz. Using your subsonic any higher will cause you to lose some of the low end response.

With that being said, go easy on it at first until you get to know how it plays, if you play really low really often(which woud be hard since most music rarely gets below 30) and it starts to get sketchy then it might be worth taking a second look at the subsonic filter. Box idea looks good by the way, very similar to how i plan to build my substage in my sq car.

Team NorthWestSPL

Archived