boomin' brick 93' Volvo 240 build (4) 10's - Update: 6-20-14 EQ Install w/Build Pics

this is turning out to be a very nice build. Makes me wish I had more money to throw around lol

I like the amp placement, I have thought about doing this when I get my mids/highs amp... hopefully the really small fosgate amps

Thanks. I might have spent 200 bucks so far lol this stuff has been collecting dust for a while. it's a really good spot when you don't care if you can see it or not. It's like a ninja amp hahahahaha

well i managed to get some more work done today on the brick.

it was pretty hot outside today so i didn't get as much done as i would have liked. But even a little progress is still progress lol

first thing i had to do is smooth out the inside of my spare tire plug ( i guess thats a good name for it lol)

so after a couple coats of fiberglass reinforced body filler to build out the low spots, i gave it a coat of rage gold, the first of many lol

IMG_1695.jpg

and after a couple coats i have this lol

IMG_1694.jpg

next i had to figure out how i was going to mount it to the spare tire

IMG_1696.jpg

so after thinking for bit i ended up using a couple nutserts in the plug and some 1/4-20 wingnut bolts with a couple fender washers

heres the nutsert in the panel, sorry the pic is so crappy

IMG_1699.jpg

heres a pic of the back of the spare with the plug installed (i left another one of the bolts there just so everybody can see what im using :))

IMG_1698.jpg

next will to be to mount the capacitor and figure out how i'm going to mount the spare tire to the car

I only got to work on the car for 20 minutes today but something is better than nothing lol

here's the capacitor i'll be using

IMG_1705.jpg

It's never been used hahaha i bought it brand new many years ago and it has been sitting on a shelf ever since. but i figured this car could use it since i'm not going to be spending all sorts of money on electrical upgrades. that will be for my next project :)

here's the cap installed in the spare.

IMG_1700.jpg

doesn't look to bad and i haven't lost an once of trunk space, just using wasted space

heres a possible trim ring i might use, i'm not sure so i'm going to get the amp rack going before i make a final decision

IMG_1697.jpg

so hopefully i can get some work done on the amp rack this weekend and get some tunes bumpin' out dis brick hahahah

This build is bringing back childhood memories. My dad had a 240 gl. I wanted that car so bad. It's awesome to see a build going in with a car like this.

Awesome man, glad to hear it. Hopefully I'll be getting more done soon. I think everybody will get a kick out of the amps I'm using lol lets just say they fit the time period of the car :)

You want to do my install next? LOL, amazing work. you planned everything very well, and it is very clean, like everything is suppose to be there.

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

managed to work on the brick most of the day today. to bad it was 6,000 % humidity out today hahahah oh well back to the brick.

todays fun was to get the amps mounted, wired and playing today. i really need to hear this thing today and it would be nice to be able to drive it again.

i figured i would go old school with the amps (doesn't hurt that i already had them so they don't cost me anything either lol)

IMG_1708.jpg

for those that don't know thats a MRV-1000, MRV-400 and the amp cap that goes with those amps

its crazy that i have had this thing in my storage room for so long, its probably worth a couple bucks, im guessing its pretty rare now

IMG_1709.jpg

next i cut a piece of 1/2" MDF out for an amp board and drilled all the holes i would need to wire up the amps

here i am getting silly with wire ties.

IMG_1710.jpg

I like my wires neat what can i say lol

after all the wire cleanup was done i mounted the board to the back of the box.

IMG_1711.jpg

almost done with wiring. now onto the bastard of tight space that i created...the capacitor bowl, i guess that's it's name today lol

it was a real chore trying to keep the power and ground wires stacked in a way that makes them look somewhat clean. but after a couple different options i found one that worked and keeps the wires from looking like spaghetti.

here she is all wired up and ready for some testing

IMG_1714.jpg

this brick hits pretty hard hahahaha definitely a lot more than i thought it would and it goes pretty low for a small sealed box.

i have a quick video i'll post on here later.

Archived