Fusing my ...Ground?

No you cant.

This. The purpose of the fuses is so if the pos wire shorts or grounds out somewhere the fuse blows and cuts off the power from the supply. If you fuse the ground and your pos grounds out somewhere it's going to be grounded there and continue pulling power from the source and probably start a fire.

I'm not trying to be stubborn - just trying to understand why.

Why wouldn't it work? Lets say that for example: one of the wires going front to back shorts out. Power will be coming from both batteries feeding into the short right? The positive wires are fused in the front, so those will blow - leaving only the rear battery connected to the short. Since the same amount of electrons flows out of the battery as goes in - the fuse on the battery's ground will see the same load that the positive wire sees. So it too will blow.

If a battery isn't grounded to anything, it is in effect: disconnected right? So both batteries are now isolated from the short - or so my theory goes.

Someone want to shed some light?

if you fuse the ground and the ground fuse pops, isn't that bad?

Edit: at one point I had a battery in the trunk literally only connected to the amp and it worked just fine. So if the ground from the battery to the chassis is cut then it'll still run

Edited by Crandis16

You would have to fuse anywhere any battery is connected to the chassis. The whole chassis of the car is a negative charge, so even if the fuse at the second battery's ground popped, the + wire would still be able to complete a short circuit since the front battery would still be connected.

You would need at least 2 fuses to protect the - side of things. So it won't help you much.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Edit: at one point I had a battery in the trunk literally only connected to the amp and it worked just fine. So if the ground from the battery to the chassis is cut then it'll still run

The battery and amps are both grounded to the shock tower. So if I disconnect the negative - it literally isn't hooked up (I think)

You would have to fuse anywhere any battery is connected to the chassis. The whole chassis of the car is a negative charge, so even if the fuse at the second battery's ground popped, the + wire would still be able to complete a short circuit since the front battery would still be connected.

You would need at least 2 fuses to protect the - side of things. So it won't help you much.

Makes sense. Would this still hold true if the front battery is fused on the positive?

I have fuses in the front, just not enough properly fuse the back.

I would wait until you get fuses for the pos run. Fuse front and back and call it a done.

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

if your battery was not connected by both + and - connections to your alternator, then your battery may have been running your amplifier, but it was not receiving a charge from your alt.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Makes sense. Would this still hold true if the front battery is fused on the positive?

I have fuses in the front, just not enough properly fuse the back.

Yup. If any battery is grounded to the chassis, then the whole chassis is essentially a ground. If you have 2 batteries, then the only way for a fuse on the - side to work is for both batteries to have a fuse on the - side.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

if your battery was not connected by both + and - connections to your alternator, then your battery may have been running your amplifier, but it was not receiving a charge from your alt.

yup, this was before I had enough wire to run from underhood battery to trunk :P all has been fixed since then hahaha