Sundown Audio

White goo Blown Mosfet??

HunterJohnson

I do not know much about mosfets but this can't be right...checked the mosfet's ohms and they were the same as the one next to it

Opened my saz3500 and theres white heat sink (thermal paste) on the amp cover

2b44c6bd.jpg

That came from this mosfet

1e1637b5.jpg

what is the deal, what should I do, is this something to worry about.

Thanks In Advance

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

Is something wrong with your amp that you opened it? Or are you just asking as of why there's thermal paste on the amp cover? If its just because you saw some paste not under a MOSFET it's probably just because a little extra got wiped on the cover during manufacturing. Nothing to worry about at all.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

Is something wrong with your amp that you opened it? Or are you just asking as of why there's thermal paste on the amp cover? If its just because you saw some paste not under a MOSFET it's probably just because a little extra got wiped on the cover during manufacturing. Nothing to worry about at all.

amp worked, I just purchased it used and got a demo with it before buying. But the circle where the paste goes was more empty on that one than the others. So it looked like it popped it out?

edit: Your avatar is going to give me nightmares

Scion tC SQ Build

I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like possibly too much paste was put under it and it just dripped off to the cover. That bar over the top of those fets is solid right? Tight? If its wiggly you might have a problem but I'm almost 100% sure it's just a little extra paste and nothing to worry about.

Edit: my new thing when people piss me off on here, I just tell them look at my avatar lol

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

just thermal paste for heat to be transfered from the mosfet to the heatsink more effiently. nothing to be worried about.

if a mosfet was blown, it will have a brown/black tint/hue to it, the mosfet would be cracked in half or many pieces, and more brown colored smoke trails on the heatsink and amps pc board, as well as the thermal paste would not be white.

I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like possibly too much paste was put under it and it just dripped off to the cover. That bar over the top of those fets is solid right? Tight? If its wiggly you might have a problem but I'm almost 100% sure it's just a little extra paste and nothing to worry about.

Edit: my new thing when people piss me off on here, I just tell them look at my avatar lol

The bar is solid And there is no burn marks. Thanks guys :)

Scion tC SQ Build

just thermal paste for heat to be transfered from the mosfet to the heatsink more effiently. nothing to be worried about.

if a mosfet was blown, it will have a brown/black tint/hue to it, the mosfet would be cracked in half or many pieces, and more brown colored smoke trails on the heatsink and amps pc board, as well as the thermal paste would not be white.

Thanks just wanted to be safe than sorry. I've only seen a blown MOSFET once on my friends t4000 and it looked there was a ww2 battle that happened on his board.

Can't wait to put this amp in!

Scion tC SQ Build

Archived