Second Skin Audio

Tuning A Box To The Speakers Fs...

EricM9104

just wondering, what results would be seen if a 15" (specific is a Memphis PR-15D4) which its Fs is 27Hz and putting four of those subs in a box tuned to 27Hz? Is that kind of tuning ideal for SQ?

Also, what about tuning a box for flat response? Or does that take more trial and error?

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

fs is the resonant frequency of a speaker in free air (not in an enclosure). At resonance, the speaker's impedance increases dramatically. The speaker's impedance may go from 4 ohms to more than 20 ohms at resonance.

for a ported enclosure. You should notice that, unlike sealed enclosures, the impedance is lowest at the resonant frequency

well you would loose bass in the 55-80hz range but gain crazy low end bass

you would just need to be careful because at the enclosures f3, the speaker will be getting alot of power still and sometimes you can have too much excursion, bottom out and flatten the vc

but ud be creating a low end monster

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

but also at Fs if the box is tuned to the Fs, that is when the speaker will have the least excursion- when a speaker is playing the tuning point of the box, the speaker barely even moves

Me personally, I go for porting a box @ fs due to the speakers natural ability for peak xmax, electrical factors. The sub would usually play best at fs, but there are also other variables.

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Archived