Second Skin Audio

Need help with bracing for 6 18's box!!

What's up everybody? Just got done talking to nick at Obsidian Audio and I'm ording 6 obsidian 18's this weekend. I will be doing subs up/port back in my tahoe. It will be b-pillar back. I've been playing around with the box design and it will be right around 30 cu ft. with around 420 sq in. of port. This is my first multi-woofer build and I really need help with bracing. What would be the best type of bracing I can use? And how do I calculate port bracing into the sq in. and tuning of the port? Thanks for the help! Also, can I get by with doing single layered sidewalls or should i do 1.5" thick all the way around?

Audio Build

Ride: 2002 Chevy Blazer 4 door

Head Unit: Pioneer deh-80prs

Subs: 4 DC Level 3 15's in a 4th order wall designed by Trent Choate and Jeff Smith

Subs Amp: AQ 3500.1 at wired at .5 (soon to be 2)

Mids/Highs Amp: Skar 85.4

Mids/Highs: Skar components

Electrical: Mechman 270 amp alt, 2 runs of Knu 0 gauge, XS Power d3400, 2 Deka Group 9a31

Build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167658-indianabasshead-blazer-dc-audio-4th-order-wall-build/

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

Greddy Twin Turbo, 3" Test pipes with Borla high-flow cats, Crawford Performance Plenum, Greddy E-manage Ultimate ECU

Exedy Racing Clutch, Built Motor by Racing Innovations

Greddy Over-fender aero kit (1 of 20 ever made), 19" Racing Hart r5 pro wheels
466rwhp

Bike

2008 Midnight Blue Kawasaki ZX-14

Stretched 8" and lowered, Brocks Sidewinder exhaust, Power Commander 5

They're running of a crescendo BC3500d at .66 ohms. So right at 4k watts for now. Hopefully upgrading to a bc5500 eventually.

Audio Build

Subs: 4 DC Level 3 15's in a 4th order wall designed by Trent Choate and Jeff Smith

Electrical: Mechman 270 amp alt, 2 runs of Knu 0 gauge, XS Power d3400, 2 Deka Group 9a31

Build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167658-indianabasshead-blazer-dc-audio-4th-order-wall-build/

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

Greddy Twin Turbo, 3" Test pipes with Borla high-flow cats, Crawford Performance Plenum, Greddy E-manage Ultimate ECU

466rwhp

Bike

i would double all around. i did a single on my box and it flexes like a mofo. then you could use 2x4s for bracing or, if you can weld, make some braces out of steel and paint them.

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

i would double all around. i did a single on my box and it flexes like a mofo. then you could use 2x4s for bracing or, if you can weld, make some braces out of steel and paint them.

I don't trust myself welding. lol. But would you do angled 2x4's from side to top, or 2x4's straight up and down from top to bottom?

Audio Build

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

466rwhp

Bike

I'd use 1inch thick mdf. found at local lumber yard. Brace with threaded rods or 2x4's plus fiberglass and resin the insides and double baffle the top.

will try that, thanks. Never new lumber yards had 1" thick. but will 2x4's do as well as threaded rods? because 2x4's would be a lot easier.

Audio Build

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

466rwhp

Bike

threaded rod> 2x4's all day everyday.. all thread isnt all that hard to put on just takes a little time

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

if you wanna make it so the bottoms sits flush without have the nuts sticking through use 2 piece of half inch glued together and cut out a whole in the second layer for the nuts to sit..kinda like flush mounting a sub basically

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4