Second Skin Audio

Ballistic Sound deadener, general sounddeadening questions

My dad was wanting to but some sound deadener in his 06 nissan titan, We were discussing it and I was telling him he should go with something like second skin, or to save some money put something like Raam mat, stinger or something of that matter in the truck but he was calling around town and found a local shop that sells BALLISTIC SOUND DEADENEner I have never hear of it but the shop selling it of course stand behind it, it is supposed to be 2.1mm thick anyone know anything about this

My dad was wanting to but some sound deadener in his 06 nissan titan, We were discussing it and I was telling him he should go with something like second skin, or to save some money put something like Raam mat, stinger or something of that matter in the truck but he was calling around town and found a local shop that sells BALLISTIC SOUND DEADENEner I have never hear of it but the shop selling it of course stand behind it, it is supposed to be 2.1mm thick anyone know anything about this

disregard

Edited by 97Jetta1637

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Shell of box / baffle built by me

Port / sealing the box by John Hone

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

price has no influence on how something sounds

I told him to move the fucking port.

they see me hoppin they stoppin they can't believe im so white and dirty

It looks like you got so drunk, that someone came up and stole your leg.

there is a difference between milimeters and mills

second skin is 60 mills 60 millimeters is over 2 inches lol

yah i noticed that when i scrolled up to top and it said 60 mills and i was like, oh.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Shell of box / baffle built by me

Port / sealing the box by John Hone

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

price has no influence on how something sounds

I told him to move the fucking port.

they see me hoppin they stoppin they can't believe im so white and dirty

It looks like you got so drunk, that someone came up and stole your leg.

So if that 2.1millimeters is correct its probably a 80mil product which is like second skin damp pro i believe. If it is reasonable priced and has a 6+mil foil with butyl backing its probably a solid product

Team NorthWestSPL

this is the specs I found online for Ballistics

he SSBK bulk kit contains 9 18" x 32" pieces

Total Coverage: 36 sq ft.

$179.95

ballisiticinst.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

Appearance:

Black Butyl Based Material With 4 Mil Aluminum

Constraining Layer, With Craft

Paper Release Liner

THICKNESS: NOMINAL

Thicker than the competition

0.083” (2.1MM)

MASS:

GREATER THAN 0.73LBS./SQFT

(2.55kg/M2)

TEMPERATURE RANGE:

OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE

14°F TO 140°F (-10°C TO +60°C)

ADHESIVE PEEL STRENgTH:

MINIMUM 43 LB./IN. (75 N/CM)

ON COLD STEEL

CHEMICAL RESISTANCE:

RESISTANT TO WATER

AND MINERAL OILS

FEDERAL STANDARDS TESTS:

MEETS: FMVSS 302

Unless you are anticipating some extreme flex you are trying to deal with I would just buy stinger roadkill expert. Comes in the same size (or similar size sheets) 36 sqft for $120. And it has a thicker foil layer. I would bet for your dads application he would not be able to tell the difference between the two and the stinger is cheaper.

Edit: the stinger might even reduce flex better since it has a thicker foil layer, I really don't know how those properties work exactly

Edited by mrd6

Team NorthWestSPL

Since the question of Ballistic came up in our sub forum, I'll provide ya with my information.

Ballistic is a product made for and sold by Metra.

It is made in China. Comes in either a sheet or wedge roll.

They list it as 83 mils thick, and it measures up to those specs (surprised the hell out of me).

It comes with a 4 mil soft aluminum. THIS is where the product suffers. Since it has a thinner constraining layer than several other products on the market, it doesn't perform quite as well (even though it has a lot of mass/extra thick butyl). Kinda of a waste pairing that much butyl with a rather thin piece of aluminum.

The adhesive is fair to good, no worries about it failing like an asphalt or bitumen based mat.

Overall it's a rather typical product right in the middle of the field. Nothing special.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png