smoking alternator

so just yesterday after sitting in a parking lot for about 10 minutes my alternator started smoking. i did have the stereo up about 4/5 the way but i have played it for about an hour long at times at the same volume with no problems. i checked all connections and wires and nothing else shows any sings of damage and the connections are perfectly fine. the alternator is still putting out a charge of 13.8volts at an idle and 14.8 at 1800-2000 rpms. i will be load testing the alternator monday to check for amperage output at both an idle and 1800-2000 rpms.

the car and alt info

the car is a 2003 ford focuz zx5.

the alt is a 250 amp micheal singer alt purchased in march 2012 (this year)

im running a t1500.1bdcp at 1 ohm

i have a regular starting battery and an interstate deep cycle rv battery along with a rockford 10 farad cap

i have already emailed micheal singer and i am waiting for his response. looking to see what everyone's opionin is of this situation. me and my dad also tried to duplicate the situation and ran the car for about 30-45 minutes with the stereo once agian at about 4/5 the way up and had no issues what so ever.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

well the voltage is normal and i just got an email back from micheal singer and he and my dad both said the strator's on the alternators have a coating on them that can burn off of them and that it doesnt effect the performance of the alternator but we are still gonna load test the alt to make sure its still doing its rated amperage.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I believe the coating, or Varnish that is on the Stator could burn off. but how hot dies the alt really get on your car? with it being FWD, it may get hotter then a RWD vehicle because of placement. to be honest if it continue to work, and the load test turns up nothing, don't worry about it. maybe check on it every so often, and make sure you sure the charge lead, but other then that, if there is no signs of defects, you really cannot do much.

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

k so after load testing the alt i found nothing wrong with it. had a vacuum line for my fuel preasure regulator that came off some how but got that fixed. the car was running fine with no issues untill i got to work. when i got to work my idle voltage was at 12.2 and i didnt check my 1800 rpm voltage. the car kept stalling out and wont idle. then on the way home from work i got a check engine light so now im off to my dads work to use their obdII scanner and fix yet another issue. was told my alt might not be putting out enough juice to run all the electronic systems in the car. could be lots of different things though wish me luck.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

i think the alt isnt putting out its rated anymore. maybe the alt is just slowly giving out now for some reason. gonna go hook it back up to a scanner now and check everything out all over agian.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

ok, so i got it on a scanner and checked my codes. first on the list alternator input load test failure. then the battery light comes on and my voltage drops to 12.3 then to 12.2 and sits there. so i only live a mile from my dads work (where i was ) so i drove the car home and by the time i got the car home the battery light was off and the voltage was up to 13.17 at an idle. i beleive there is something going on with the alt so im gonna see about sending it back to micheal singer and have him look it over and make sure everything is working correctly and rebuild it if needed. ive only had the alt sinc march and in since end of april begening of june.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

yeah i know, just waiting on a reply from here and gotta wait for about a week so i can afford to ship it out. in the meantime im working on getting a stock junk yard alt. damn junk yards want $75 for a used alt up here. i knew i should have kept my stock alt but no i just had to go and sell it to for 50 plus shipping...

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

Archived