Second Skin Audio

Flared vs port area?

Tim Lam

I am designing a box for the 2 AQ HDC3's im planning to get.

my dimensions i would be using are 39w x 17h x 19d

so hopefully around 2.5.-2.7cubes per sub, and was told to tune no lower than 36Hz.

now i was thinking i had some great results with my old 6" PVC pipe with my Type R's, but people told me flared was the way to go.

then i looked up some flared 6" ports and they're flares reach up to 9".

with a 39" width, i couldnt fit that 9" flare. but if they were unflared i could squeeze them in.

so my question is, should i just get 1 6" flared aeroport or 2 6" pvc pipes?

with 1 flared, i would have about 27in^2, but with the 2 pvc's i would have over 64in^2 of port area

The flare helps cut down on port noise, and a lot of people get the aero ports cause they are extremely simple. Id say do aero

The spot with least resistance LOL.

I would ground to a rubber dildo if it had less resistance than a run of 4/0 wiring.

how many poeple work there 3 or 4 lol

At crescendo HQ? probably 2-3

At the sweatshop in china? 30,000 children

No Engine

Here's a suggestion, make the cutout for the aero port the ID(inside diameter) of the port. That way the ports butt up to the inside edge of the box. THEN take a router to the outer port opening on the outside of the box and voila! You now have a slightly flared port. Make sure you obviously seal where the port contacts the inside of the box.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

This is what Audioque lists for a 5 cubes box:

5.00^ft (3) 10" or (2) 12" or (1) 15" or 18" 80.0 sq" vent x 18" long.

With the single flared you probably will get lost efficiency at least.

If you intend to port in the baffle you will need to tune higher than 36Hz due to your maximum depth unless you use them partially external.

The flare helps cut down on port noise, and a lot of people get the aero ports cause they are extremely simple. Id say do aero

lol i was going to do aero's? thats the whole reason i posted this thread....

Here's a suggestion, make the cutout for the aero port the ID(inside diameter) of the port. That way the ports butt up to the inside edge of the box. THEN take a router to the outer port opening on the outside of the box and voila! You now have a slightly flared port. Make sure you obviously seal where the port contacts the inside of the box.

what about the inside end of the pipe? and i dont have access to a router.

This is what Audioque lists for a 5 cubes box:

5.00^ft (3) 10" or (2) 12" or (1) 15" or 18" 80.0 sq" vent x 18" long.

With the single flared you probably will get lost efficiency at least.

If you intend to port in the baffle you will need to tune higher than 36Hz due to your maximum depth unless you use them partially external.

yeah i was thinking of tuning to 37Hz, that way i have a 2" clearance between the end of the port and the rear of the box. well all that being i used 2 6" ports

Archived