Second Skin Audio

designing ported box

qcbangin

i just downloaded torres and now i want to try to design my first box. i've been reading up, but there is a few questions i have before starting this.

I'm going to try to design a box for 2 kicker L5 10's for a buddy. i looked on there website, but cannot find the sub displacement anywhere. how do i find out what the sub displacement is?

and when designing the port, what is a general port area for 2 10's? and how do i figure port area for different subs?

last question is kicker's website says ported box volume should be between 1.25ft^3-2.25ft^3. the 1.25ft^3 box says port should be 2.5" X 11.25" and 19.75" long. for the 2.25ft^3 box it says it should be 3 X 11.25" and 14.5" long. does the port have to be that size?

this is my first time attempting this, so sorry for the questions if they're dumb.

edit:they will be going in a single cab s10. so the box will have to be slanted. which is another thing i'm confused about.

since there will be 2 subs, i should double that number? since the box has to be slanted, it can't be a slot ported, right? and how do i find the port area needed?

Yes, double the displacement, I will give you a hint to get the port area Sd= 439 square centimeters and Xmax = 15.2 mm.

There are two common methods to calculate port area one gives ideal port at any power which is the Richard Small's method and the other is the Vent Mach method which is based on power you are actually sourcing, problem is that you need to enter more speaker parameters. Since there is not always space for a perfect port you will usually need to do a smaller than perfect port for everything to fit.

But first you need to decide the external volume of the box, Kickers like big boxes so get your maximum dims and try to do the largest box feasible, next You enter all the data In Torres, from there if you are short on space you will need to balance net volume and port area. Hope this gives you an idea. Glad the other box did it for you.

Archived