Mechman Alternators

New Mechman arived charging to 16v Steady on a 12v alt????

Your alternator should NOT be charging at 16 volts. When we tested it on the dyno, it would have not been passed through QC if it was over 15.0 volts. In fact, there should be a voltage spec written on the birth sheet sticker that is on the box, displaying what the voltage was when we tested it. With your unit, it should be 14.0-14.5 volts.

There is a good chance that you have resistance somewhere in the charge cable causing the alternator to overcharge in an effort to compensate for perceived low voltage in the battery. If you are running a battery isolator, fuse, relay or circuit breaker in the charge cable, that could cause it.

Matt

The alt has calmed down now but at 2k im sitting at 15.4 but at 3k im at 15.8 at idle around 800... im seeing mid 14s... the alt cable is gsi oversized pure copper zero with NO fuseing and all soldered connectors. Its running better and with only one of my saz 3500s on, out of 2, and 3 mtx 9515s at .89 ohm load on the amp im dropping to 12.8s with my 2 kinetik hc2400s and hc 1400. But it is still running way more voltage than a normal 12 volt alt...

Edited by markbuhler007

Also: When are you taking these readings? When the car is cold or warmed up? What is the temperature outside?

The voltage should go down a bit once the alt warms up, but that still seems on the high side. Mine will charge at 15.4 cold (below freezing) and will chill out to 14.8 hot

Im in va so 60-80s and there higher at start but at temp there around the numbers i was saying i drove the car over 50 miles at 3k and never dropped below 15.6 unless my system was on relitively loud then i droped to the bats charging level.... as would be expected

Check your plug, make sure it is tightly connected. Make sure there aren't any frays/pinches/obvious stress spots in the wires going/coming off of said plug. If those all check out, then I'd say to contact Mechman

On the adapter harness that goes from your stock alternator plug, to the plug on the alternator, is there a yellow wire coming out of it with a ring terminal on the end of it that gets connected to the positive stud on the alternator?