Sonic Electronix

Subs shut off at certain volume

What do you even MEAN he has his subs bridged AND they're bridged at the amp. Explain IN DETAIL what you're trying to talk about. You sound confused, and that is OK, we just need more information than that. Also, I'm thinking grounds, or CLIP protection is why the amp is cutting out. It could be a VERY narrow chance that it's not enough voltage from the HU to the amp to be able to keep up at higher volumes. Most likely culprit in this scenario is clipping(gain set way too high on the amp). The gain setting on the amp is there to match the voltage of the HU. It's not a volume knob, its only to match levels between the deck and the amp. Make sure it's DD1'd or O-scoped and then see if those subs still cut out.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I'm going with low impedance here. Find out what coils he has, are they 4 ohm or 2 ohm. Then find out how it is wired? parallel or series? We will need to know exactly how each positive and negative on each sub is hooked up.

If you can, try to find out which exact model the subs are, and link the sub and amp

sub rated power doesn't have anything to do with being "too powerful" for the amp; the sub power ratings are only suggestions for what the amp should be sending to the subwoofer.

like it has been said, if the subs are 2 ohm resistance per voice coil, and wired in parallel, there could be too much current for teh XplOdZ. That's not a fond model/company around here lol (for good reason)

Gain is matching when the amplifier will send out its maximum power based on how much voltage it is seeing from the Headunit. say it goes from 0.2 - 4V. (IDK if you can see markers on that amp.) anyways, if you set it more towards the 0.2V end, the amp will put out all its power at a very low power level on the headunit (AKA high sensitivity) .. If you set the Gain at like "4V," amplifier power will be withheld until it sees a HIGH Volume on the Headunit... the Headunit may not even ever put out 4V, and therefore you will never see the max power from the amp. While this is likely not the case, I'm just trying to educate you

The gain is likely set to a number that is achieved before you get to 22 on the Deck, and therefore the amplifier is shutting down to protect from sending a bad signal, OR it is stopping because there is too much current and it doesn't want FIYAHs

So yah, send models!

in a million, trillion, kabillion years,i would never play that song in my ride. I don't care if its clipped or not LOL. I feel like my nads got clipped after playing this for 15 seconds just to see what it was LOL.

No thanks bro. Not into it.

If you can, try to find out which exact model the subs are, and link the sub and amp

sub rated power doesn't have anything to do with being "too powerful" for the amp; the sub power ratings are only suggestions for what the amp should be sending to the subwoofer.

like it has been said, if the subs are 2 ohm resistance per voice coil, and wired in parallel, there could be too much current for teh XplOdZ. That's not a fond model/company around here lol (for good reason)

Gain is matching when the amplifier will send out its maximum power based on how much voltage it is seeing from the Headunit. say it goes from 0.2 - 4V. (IDK if you can see markers on that amp.) anyways, if you set it more towards the 0.2V end, the amp will put out all its power at a very low power level on the headunit (AKA high sensitivity) .. If you set the Gain at like "4V," amplifier power will be withheld until it sees a HIGH Volume on the Headunit... the Headunit may not even ever put out 4V, and therefore you will never see the max power from the amp. While this is likely not the case, I'm just trying to educate you

The gain is likely set to a number that is achieved before you get to 22 on the Deck, and therefore the amplifier is shutting down to protect from sending a bad signal, OR it is stopping because there is too much current and it doesn't want FIYAHs

So yah, send models!

strangely... and sadly... I've heard that way too much. That people are afraid or think that they ruined their sub by not giving it enough power. I know I'm new to the audio world, but even I know... you can't truly harm a sub by giving it less power than it's rated if you wire everything right, don't send clipped signals, etc. If I have 2 subs rated at 600 rms each, gonna hurt them giving them 400 rms each with clean power and wired correctly? Of course not. But sadly, have heard that many times. It's as you said Hypnotized, that's what it's RATED at. Doesn't mean give them that power or else you'll ruin it.

Hope he doesn't mind it but TylerParrish on this lovely forum, hooked up a sub (I'm not sure what it was rated for, 600 I think but maybe he'll chime in for the real answer) and gave it.... 50 watts. Not 500, but 50. Now I am fairly sure he was just messin around and experimenting as it's not still hooked up (or is it Tyler?) but even if he did keep it hooked up at 50 watts, wouldn't have harmed it.

So anytime I see the "subs are too powerful for the amp", I just shake my head. I get that impression that they also think if they had a h/o alt that did 300 amps but they truly only needed 150, that they're electrical would be fried, as to which it would be completely fine as long as the right upgrades and wire was done.

Sorry, just had to speak up about that. Found it funny at first, but gets old after awhile hearing about it. End of this rant!

edit-spelling mistake

Sheena = pedobear

What do you even MEAN he has his subs bridged AND they're bridged at the amp. Explain IN DETAIL what you're trying to talk about. You sound confused, and that is OK, we just need more information than that. Also, I'm thinking grounds, or CLIP protection is why the amp is cutting out. It could be a VERY narrow chance that it's not enough voltage from the HU to the amp to be able to keep up at higher volumes. Most likely culprit in this scenario is clipping(gain set way too high on the amp). The gain setting on the amp is there to match the voltage of the HU. It's not a volume knob, its only to match levels between the deck and the amp. Make sure it's DD1'd or O-scoped and then see if those subs still cut out.

His subs inside the box are connected to each other so he can wire it to the amp as one sub.

Archived