Sonic Electronix

Subs shut off at certain volume

Alright Im still fairly new on the whole car audio thing, and i need some answers to a problem my friend has. He recently installed two p2 ten inch subs into his dakota sport. he has them running off of a 600w sony xplod amp im pretty sure. When he turns his volume past 22 somtimes 24 his subs shut off. Why? My first thought was the subs are to powerful for the amp but im not really sure. is there an easy fix?

Not enough voltage, which sends the amp into protect. How are the gains set?? You are probably sending a clipped signal with that Sony xplod amp

2005 Chevy Colorado

Pioneer avic-x930bt

Alpine pdx-m12

Alpine pdx-f4

Focal is 165

Focal ic 165

Sundown SA 15 D4

Kicker 0/1 OFC power wire

Kicker 12 awg speaker wire

XS Power D2400

DC Power 270 H/O Alt

Make sure gains are not cranked up.

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

Not enough voltage, which sends the amp into protect. How are the gains set?? You are probably sending a clipped signal with that Sony xplod amp

Im not sure what his gains are set at right now, i think he said he had it fairly low. Its not all the way up. Is there a way to fix a clipped signal?

Im not sure what his gains are set at right now, i think he said he had it fairly low. Its not all the way up. Is there a way to fix a clipped signal?

turn the gain down. turn any equalizers down on the HU.

get a line driver. get better RCA's

lower/turn off bass boost.

These have been said already, but I would check things in this order.

1. Make sure the impedance isn't too low. The subs may be wired below what the amp is comfortable with.

2. Watch the voltage when he cranks it. Voltage could be low straining the amp and causing it to cut off. Amp have good size power wire and ground? Good clean ground?

3. Voltage from Head Unit may be too high / Clipping. Clipping will put the hurt on the amp and the subs. But- he could have bass or loudness or other settings cranked up on the head unit. Also, the head unit could be putting out a higher voltage through the RCAs than the amp is comfortable with. Are the gain and bass cranked on the amp?

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I would only make 1 addition: good ground is very important. Make sure the ground of the motor to chassis isn't broken. BIG 3 isn't only a good option for heavier installs.

Woofer: 12" Phase Linear Aliante Limited

Mids & highs: DLS Ultimate 5 1/4"

Amp: Audison VRX 6.420

HU: Sony CDX-C90R

Archived