Second Skin Audio

Huge Kerfs with T-line building fun!! lots of pics

revoracing247

ok so i've been wanting to put this up for a bit, originally i was just gonna make a post about this t-line i built in spring for a little 8" kicker free air sub i had but now i'm gearing up to make a t-line for this JL 12" i have. both boxes are just practice for the system i really want down the road. anyways this first post i'll make about the t-line i build this last spring. my question is on the new box im making so that'll be in the other post.

anyways here's the t-line for the 8"
it's tuned at 53Hz cause that's the Fs of the sub.
and it's my first box i've ever made so don't give me too much slack for it.
and it's all done with a drill and a skill saw. (definitely having better tools when i build this new box)

anyways pics!
WP_001679.jpg

F8cTline2.png

F8cTline.png

to the build process!
WP_001680.jpg

all cuts done!
WP_001683.jpg

fist mock up
WP_001684.jpg

started putting it together
WP_001695.jpg

Cutting sub hole with out a router..... (not doing this again, soooo much sanding!)
WP_001691.jpg

yes i know it looks horrible.
WP_001692.jpg

WP_001696.jpg

getting there!
WP_001700.jpg

and completed!
WP_001701.jpg

i realized after i built it i might have used just a tad bit much of screws to do it :P oh well, it'll never break!

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

haha damn im about to post the same thing! anyways looks good. How does it sound being tuned at 53Hz? Can it pick up the lows somewhat decent?

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

haha damn im about to post the same thing! anyways looks good. How does it sound being tuned at 53Hz? Can it pick up the lows somewhat decent?

just accidently deleted my big second post :angry22: so i'll respond to your post lol and if im being completely honest, not very well :P but it's a ton of fun watching the thing flex! i am only running it at like 150rms which i think it's like rated rms is like 200 or something, and well it does fill in the lows a ton better then just my 6X9's and plus it free's them up so they don't get muddied when the bass hits but still aint satisfied. it was more of like a fun project lol or for a computer sound system.

i can say this though! it's the loudest i've ever hear the thing get! just doesn't compare to the cone area of the 2 12's i had before my amp fried :P (which parts come in for that this next week!)

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Get to work on the box for the JL!!! I wanna see this thing!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

ok now that i feel like redoing this post

ok so yeah now im designing a t-line for a JL 12 i have and it's tuned to 24Hz.

and after doing some calculations and playing with the numbers for a couple of days the only design that would fit in my truck is doing at least 2 bends.

playing with numbers!

WP_001794.jpg

so rather then 2 bends i'd love to actually do 3 and have it so that the sub is up and the port is up so rather then sub up port to the side.

anyways here's more designing pics..

3 bend design

t-line3bend.png

t-line3bendwsub.png

and here's the 2 bend design fully done.

t-line2bendbafflebuilt.png

so as you can see on the 2 bend design the double baffle goes over the top and bottom boards and it covers the whole top.

heres a better picture

countersinkonotherboxwherebafflecangoallthewayacross.png

now with the 3 bend design im having trouble with the cut in the outer baffle for the flush mount. it's cause the double baffle cant go across the whole top of the box cause of the port on the end. and if i have it so the baffle sits on top of the bottom and under the top (1.5" shorter) then that fist cut for the flush mount is bigger then the baffle.

maybe pics can help explain so...

here's showing the port so that the baffle can't go all the way across.

showinghowbafflecantgoallacross.png

and now for the cut in the outer baffle. as you can see it steps off the baffle.

fistcutisactuallybiggerthenthatalsolol.png

and actually i measured wrong before i took that pic and the radius of that cut is gonna be bigger (only 1/4" but still makes a diff)

anyways i don't exactly know what to do about it! any input on it would be welcomed!

so after having it bother me over last night i have came up with the only way that i could see it working out.

basically half way across the baffle i'd make it so the outer one starts to cover both the top and bottom. so then they'd fit together like a puzzle piece. it's gonna suck trying to cut it out but it's the only way i could see it working cleanly.

here's some pics of what i mean.

t-line3bendbaffleopt1.png

here's a top view

t-line3bendbuilt.png

annnnndd with the top on

t-line3bendbuilt1.png

anyways yeah if anyone has any suggestions let me know!

so there's still this dilemma about the 3 bends. does anyone know if having that extra bend will effect the performance any? and if it does, will having the port in the bottom corner of my truck with the 2 bend design, will having the port end kind of confined some effect it?

if i had a choice i'd love to do the 3 design more cause the look of having a fat port sitting there would be awesome, also being able to play around with the air coming out would be a lot of fun :nuts:

comp.png

but i don't know enough about t-lines to know if it'll effect it.

anyways here's all three boxes together (the little one is the 8" one i built in the spring just for a size reference)

compz.png

let me know what you guys think or anything.

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

I'm likin the idea for the "puzzle piece" baffle. I say go for it!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

I'm likin the idea for the "puzzle piece" baffle. I say go for it!

if the 3 bend idea has no draw backs then i'd love to do that, and with the puzzle piece baffle. and with that i was thinking of off setting screws where the outer baffle is larger so that it'll switch off like 1 screw from the front of baffle to top, then 1 screw from top to second baffle, then back to 1 screw from front baffle to top. and a whole lot of wood glue! lol and maybe it'll be stronger! but any opinions would help!!!!!!!

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

can anyone help me with this please? i'd just like to feel a little more confident about my design before i pick up the wood and start cutting.

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

the 3 bend will work just fine.....as long as the line is the right length.....is the Fs of the JL 12 you have about 24 hz ?

thanks that helps a lot! and yeah 24hz exactly. it surprised me when i first found the manual for it. and honestly i probably wouldn't be building a t-line for it if it wasn't that low. it has a higher qms and qts then is ideal for a t-line so it's gonna have a pretty steep drop off after it's tuning but it wont matter cause its at 24hz! lol

do you think making the puzzle piece double baffle would be fine?

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Archived