Second Skin Audio

Convertible bass solution...

Tim2902

Where does the sound go? Haha. Can you hear it with them set up like that?

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

lol... Top up it sounds great. Top down, it's greatly reduced. But it still sounds good. Way better than the previous 8" Bazooka tube that was in it when I bought it. Which was the whole point of doing it. It's good on music at "normal" listening volume. Easily overcomes wind noise etc. But I've found there's no turning it up and really wanging those w7s with the top down. It tries to blow the deck lid off. Really leans on the back glass which is folded up in front of the amps, and flutters the hell out of the top where the air is trying to get out of the trunk.

I don't know that there is a solution for that, short of ditching the back seat and doing a glass enclosure inside. and I wasn't willing to give up the back seat. Gotta have someplace to put groceries...lol.

Overall, I'm happy with it. With the top up I can pound on it pretty good. There's a ton of air moving through the passthrough. Keeps the amps cool too! ;)

I still have to get my electrical up to snuff. But even so, around some guys that are seriously in the game, by the "ear-o-meter", they generally were guessing 143 0r 144 top up. But once I get some more battery in there we'll finish fine tuning it and get it on the termlab and find out for sure.

It'd be kind of cool if I could bass race it at 139.9! I don't think there are too many convertibles doing that...lol.

I've found there's no turning it up and really wanging those w7s with the top down. It tries to blow the deck lid off. Really leans on the back glass which is folded up in front of the amps, and flutters the hell out of the top where the air is trying to get out of the trunk.

There's a ton of air moving through the passthrough. Keeps the amps cool too! ;)

With the top being up, you pressurized the cabin causing more air and what not. But when the tops down, no pressure.

That's what I was saying Jeff...

But we accomplished what we were looking to do.

Top down we've got decent lows to cruise the beach with on music.

Top up we can bang the hell out of the w7s

At the local car meets we can get the chairs and cooler out, leave the trunk open, get some "attaboys" on the install and do some decent demos upon request.

Oh... And the port will shred the hell out of a magazine in about 5 seconds on "Immaculate Perception" wide open. It's a riot! I'll have to get some video next time we do it...lol.

:)

i have t tops on my trans am. doesnt sound the best till you put the windows up lol but then you just look stupid.

1997 Trans Am WS6

Pioneer DEH-P5200HD

2 DC Level 4 M2 12s

4 cubes tuned to about 34hz

DC 3.5k

1/0 Welding Supply Ultra Flex

Stock 140A alt

Stinger Fuses & Fuse Holders

XS Power D5100

XS Power XP3000

Thanks. The original idea was a little different. I have a racing buddy of mine that I was talking to about wanting red rings around the subs. He said he could machine me rings out of plexiglass and then we could drill the edges and put LEDs in them to light them up red. But we nixed the idea because we were afraid the baffle wouldn't hold up over time. So the next best ting was red vinyl around the mounting hole and a black beauty panel over the whole box. It's not double baffled. We already had to go higher than we wanted to with the box to get the cubes we needed. We didn't want to have to go another 3/4 closer to the decklid. It's already too tight. And we lit the amps up and ran a strip of LEDs across the decklid to light up the subs. It looks pretty cool at night with the trunk open. :)

Archived