Help Diagnosing Problem

When i plugged those dimensions into tores calc. things just didn't seem right for what the manufacturer recommends for those subs.

I would put some solid blocks inside the box to reduce the internal volume a bit, in fact you would need around .5cf per side and that would raise the tuning to 36hz which isn't terribly bad but should put them closer to where they need to be for what the box size is.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

if i understood your box right your ports too small and your box is too big i cam up with 102 sq inches of port and over 8 cubes

I think it's just a hair over 7 before displacements which ends up being almost bang on what is recommended by DC. 14-7/8"x17"x26" inside per sub. Unless the port is included in volume?

I know nothing about ports really. So many conflicting opinions on them. But from what i can see mine should be around 15 sq in of port per cube which I think is within what most people seem to recommend isn't it? 12-18sq ft /cube? Anyways, I paid to have this box designed by someone recommended to me by DC so I'm really hoping that's not the issue.

08 Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe, Black

DC Soundlabs 3.5K
2x DC Level 4m2 15's @ 1 ohm
31hz designed by chevysub4x4spl

1x XS Power D3400

Stock Alt (mechman soon)

60ft 1/0 Copper Welding Cable

Alt, Batt, and Amp Power & All Grounds are 1/0 Copper

50 sq ft B-Quiet Ultimate & Cans of Spray Foam

JVC KD-A625

When i plugged those dimensions into tores calc. things just didn't seem right for what the manufacturer recommends for those subs.

I would put some solid blocks inside the box to reduce the internal volume a bit, in fact you would need around .5cf per side and that would raise the tuning to 36hz which isn't terribly bad but should put them closer to where they need to be for what the box size is.

I'll try that and see what happens. Can I just stick some blocks of wood in there temporarily or do i need to secure them to test it? I won't need to turn the volume up much to tell if that helped cuz it doesn't sound quite right even on low volume even with no air movement in the box which is why I kind of doubt it's the box but I'm new to custom boxes so I'm down to try anything.

DC Soundlabs 3.5K

1x XS Power D3400

Stock Alt (mechman soon)

JVC KD-A625

maybe I am doing something wrong but I get 14.875" x 17" x 26" = 6574"^3 = 3.8ft^3 - .21 displacement = 3.6^3ft per sub. Is 0.35 cubic feet extra per sub really enough to change the sound noticeably?

DC Soundlabs 3.5K

1x XS Power D3400

Stock Alt (mechman soon)

JVC KD-A625

Port length should be 22.25. The net vol according to torres is 7.8 cubes. DC recommends 3.25 per sub so you are right it's more like .6 cubes extra space per sub.

How much of a difference do you think that would make? I'm guessing probably even more difference with just two walls than an L port?

Thanks man I'll try adding some wood. Where would be the best spot? Hopefully the interior port wall or the back cuz that's the easiest place I have access to, want to avoid pulling the woofers if I can.

DC Soundlabs 3.5K

1x XS Power D3400

Stock Alt (mechman soon)

JVC KD-A625

This is what i got entering the info you supplied.

Box.jpg

You figure that's enough to cause the symptoms I'm describing? Box design is one of my weak sides which i why I had it designed by a "pro" (lol).

Either way I'll throw some blocks in after work and let you know.

Thanks man.

DC Soundlabs 3.5K

1x XS Power D3400

Stock Alt (mechman soon)

JVC KD-A625

Hmm...

toss your ipod or another source, directly to your amps.. (nix the HU) and see?

That's a very good call. I will try that next time I have a sec. Should tell me whether it;s the HU or not. Thanks!

Word,... :WELCOME:

great luck.... thats bugging me,... LOL......

Please post findings...... cheers yo.....

Happy to report that we are officially sounding good now! :drink40:

Ran my buddies RCA's from his old HU which is literally the exact same model as mine just a year or so older. he has the same amp and subs (except his are the original lvl 4's not the new lvl 4 m2). I loved his system which i why I bought all the same stuff.

Anyways got the HU off him, it's installed now, sounding 99.9% better, still havn't even fully re-tuned my amp filters yet, and I might get a new set of RCA's in case these got hot or something with the defective HU.

I owe you a beer, let me know if you ever come up to Canada!

And thanks everyone else for your input.

I tried adding some blocks in the box btw and that didn't change much, lows were a tiny bit tighter but that's about it. The HU made waay more difference.

DC Soundlabs 3.5K

1x XS Power D3400

Stock Alt (mechman soon)

JVC KD-A625

Hmm...

toss your ipod or another source, directly to your amps.. (nix the HU) and see?

That's a very good call. I will try that next time I have a sec. Should tell me whether it;s the HU or not. Thanks!

Word,... :WELCOME:

great luck.... thats bugging me,... LOL......

Please post findings...... cheers yo.....

Happy to report that we are officially sounding good now! :drink40:

Ran my buddies RCA's from his old HU which is literally the exact same model as mine just a year or so older. he has the same amp and subs (except his are the original lvl 4's not the new lvl 4 m2). I loved his system which i why I bought all the same stuff.

Anyways got the HU off him, it's installed now, sounding 99.9% better, still havn't even fully re-tuned my amp filters yet, and I might get a new set of RCA's in case these got hot or something with the defective HU.

I owe you a beer, let me know if you ever come up to Canada!

And thanks everyone else for your input.

I tried adding some blocks in the box btw and that didn't change much, lows were a tiny bit tighter but that's about it. The HU made waay more difference.

Cool beans man.......

and we are up in the great north all the time....

buying pills, steriods, and weed, to bring back and sling.......

Naw.... really.... ............................................... we do....

So, yes,.. we would love a bar stool and some molson,... or whatever eh!?!?!

Glad you got somewhere,... now, we would enjoy a vid!!??

take care bro.. :drink40:

Archived