I have been shooting my buddy's S&W 9 mm for a while and was wanting to get my own handgun now, preferably a .40cal. I looked at the glock 23 and looked at the glock 22 and they both looked good and the prices werent too bad. I'm looking to spend up to $500 for the gun and was just wanting your guys input. If you think there is another glock or brand that would better suit me, feel free to let me know. I'm 6ft 250lbs if that helps.

I went to a pawn shop and looked at their selection and they have a Glock 22 new with 2 mags for $489 and they said their prices aren't firm, I don't know a whole lot about what brands are best or reliable, I just know glocks are an older reputable brand out there.

Any and all input is appreciated.

From my point of view I have a G23 and it HAS saved my life in MORE than one occasion.... They are reliable, will take abuse and the elements VERY well... Plus they pretty much go bang EVERY TIME you pull the trigger... I have and would bet my life on the reliability of a Glock... Is a Glock for everyone? No they arent but NO one can argue that they arent reliable guns.. Just my .02

I carry a 1911 for daily carry/personal use BUT I am registered as a Bounty Hunter and Armed security officer and when on duty I carry my G23...

Btw 489 is a good deal :)

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Just like everyon ehas said go shoot some if you can...and hold them handle them for while before you buy it. I bought a Glock 19gen3 about a 6months ago. I held the gun I bought for a good 10-15min at the store using the mag release and slide release. The guy thought I was crazy but the gun fits me perfect.

Eventually mines going to be used for concealed carry so I have a more compact 9mm not full size but it turns out the mid compact fits my hand the best so thats what I got.

If you aren't in CALI you are lucky you guys can get a Gen4 glock.

People will argue calibers but in the end your shot placement is the deciding factor when downing a target(self defense situations)....If the caliber is larger and it makes it harder for you to shoot accurately the .45 wont be any more effective missing than a 9mm will...When I shoot a .45 my accuracy isnt as good as the 9mm. I like my stepdads .40..but at the end of the day Im the most comfortable with the 9mm and shoot the best with it.

Plus a perk is ammo is cheaper . :)

I agree with what you said above... While i prefer .45 and 10mm pistols along with a .40 IF i couldnt accurately get hits on target with those calibers but i was dead on with a 9mm then you bet your ass I would carry a 9mm... A gun is ONLY effective when you can comfortably shoot it and get hits on target... you also have to factor in that when "Shit hits the fan" your adrenaline will be pumping,tunnel vision kicks in, You will be hyperventilating so all of those add to the fact taht you are going to have a harder time getting hits on target NOT to mention shootouts are a DYNAMIC situation the person is more than likely NOT going to stand still and shoot at you they will probably be running or moving in a weird way... All this shit plays into being able to rely on a weapon that you can comfortably hit your target because that is about the only way you are going to save your own ass... NO ONE else will 99% of the time :)

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

1911's are great... I dont consider them a starter weapon as I am sure MOST on here would agree

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

1911's are great... I dont consider them a starter weapon as I am sure MOST on here would agree

Depends. Is said starter retarded or not. As with any firearm, practice and familiarity with the manual of arms for whatever weapon it is is a must. A 1911 can be a fantastic weapon for anyone. It has redundant safety systems, thumb safety and grip safey ( and firing pin safety if its a series 80), and most anyone that handles a 1911 can shoot it well, add to that the selection of calibers now available in that platform ( fullsize model in 9mm is a pussy cat to shoot), along with diff thickness grip panels and flat or arched main spring housing can really tailor the fit to an individual.Throw in the different frame sizes and slide lengths and it can be perfect for just about anyone in any role.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Depends. Is said starter retarded or not. As with any firearm, practice and familiarity with the manual of arms for whatever weapon it is is a must. A 1911 can be a fantastic weapon for anyone. It has redundant safety systems, thumb safety and grip safey ( and firing pin safety if its a series 80), and most anyone that handles a 1911 can shoot it well, add to that the selection of calibers now available in that platform ( fullsize model in 9mm is a pussy cat to shoot), along with diff thickness grip panels and flat or arched main spring housing can really tailor the fit to an individual.Throw in the different frame sizes and slide lengths and it can be perfect for just about anyone in any role.

I'd say 75/25 on the Retarded chance :peepwall:

Just fucking with you OP lol

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

lol, starter weapon. My starter was a 9mm s&w. The last weapon I had was my Springfield XD .40... ergonomics was great, it was acurate, and just bad ass. Just make sure you are comfortable with it in your hand. If you are going to carry it, you don't need to get a desert eagle. You need something parctical. Shoot a lot of different pistols. make a choice on what feels the best to you, not the best price. Altough, price is a good point. If you get it used, make sure youtrust the place you get it from, and its not crap. Also, please don't buy a Taurus, unless you can throw it hard enough to hit your target... good luck.

OiRYFHf.png

////Alpine, Eclipse, Load Boss, Pheonix Gold, MB Quart,Digital Desings, Memphis, Stinger, Periphial, MTX, Visualogic

Check out spingfield xd or xdm, my first gun was a xd40 and i dont plan on getting rid of it such great gun. Never had a problem with it at all so far.

Id say go with a 9mm otherwise going to the range can be pretty expensive. I ended up buying a .22 because you can get 525 bullets for like $14 and keeps you busy at the range.

xd40, bought it for $439 new

0a2a3af2.jpg

Archived