Sundown Audio

Mounting amplifiers to subwoofer boxes?

AmmoJammo

If you decide to mount an amp to a sub box.... put some rubber mounting feet under the amp to reduce the vibrations. it will also help with air being able to get under the amp and keeping it cool.

Yes i have done it before and a lot of others do too but make sure you take precautions to where you mount it.. and like stated before... build your box strong.

2 Fi BTL N2 18s Fully LoadedSundown Audio NS-1Kenwood 845 HU Clarion EQ4 Juicebox 3100sKnu Wire"Big 3"Mechman 270a156.3dBTeam GG.

Ive done it a bunch, and still do it in some applications. However when I know Im going to do that I talk precautions, such as making the box 2 or 3 layers thick, some sort of vibration dampener like lem said rubber feet are great.

Its mostly your larger based amplifiers that dont have the proper board supports inside the heatsink, than your amp is prone to rattling around. Seems this is not as big of a deal now days as it once was imo. But its still a risk you got to be aware of and know that bad things could potentially happen.

has anyone actually seen an amplifier damaged by vibration? any pictures?

I dont have a picture but a buddy had a rockford t4000 on a box and a cap fell off or got disconnected and then the amp blew.

Could be a one in a thousand, but its proof that the amp got damaged because it was screwed onto the box with only a little bit of rubber dampning.

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

I know in the past sometimes the soldered components came loose as the solder broke from the vibrations.

Woofer: 12" Phase Linear Aliante Limited

Mids & highs: DLS Ultimate 5 1/4"

Amp: Audison VRX 6.420

HU: Sony CDX-C90R

Then I'm afraid that particular problem hasn't been solved over the years and the "Head" method comes in very handy :rolleyes:

Woofer: 12" Phase Linear Aliante Limited

Mids & highs: DLS Ultimate 5 1/4"

Amp: Audison VRX 6.420

HU: Sony CDX-C90R

Archived