More alternator problems

Only ways I know what my cars idle at is hooking up a actron code scanner and seeing the data in real time it shows the engine RPM. I have watched that in my daily drives to see what my normal driving conditions are as far as engine RPM. The other way is to read the haynes book at autozone and look for the engine RPM's its in there just have to sift through it.

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

whats your battery float voltage?

whats your car idle at?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I think the alt needs to be on within your cars idle to be on in the first place. When you rev engine your in a sense turning it on then when you let off the gas at idle the engine RPMs go to idle and IF its lower than the alts turn on speed the alt is not charging.

All I have said is a maybe, it might be something totally different but its something to ask about.

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

whats your car idle at?

Forgive me for not knowing much of the terminology, but I just went out and checked both batteries and they're sitting at 13.05v and the car's been off for at least an hour. With my stock alt on at idle I was sitting at 13.8v after the engine heated up, 14.1 when first starting the car. Now idle with this alt is at most 12.3, but I stopped letting it drop because I didn't want to fry anything

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

I think the alt needs to be on within your cars idle to be on in the first place. When you rev engine your in a sense turning it on then when you let off the gas at idle the engine RPMs go to idle and IF its lower than the alts turn on speed the alt is not charging.

All I have said is a maybe, it might be something totally different but its something to ask about.

This seems to make the most sense out of anything I've heard/read so far. Is there any way to change the alt's turn on speed or should I try getting a slightly smaller belt and seeing if that'll work?

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

whats your car idle at?

Forgive me for not knowing much of the terminology, but I just went out and checked both batteries and they're sitting at 13.05v and the car's been off for at least an hour. With my stock alt on at idle I was sitting at 13.8v after the engine heated up, 14.1 when first starting the car. Now idle with this alt is at most 12.3, but I stopped letting it drop because I didn't want to fry anything

I wouldn't be to afraid to let it drop. You won't fry anything, you'll just slowly drain your batteries.

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

if your car idles lower than the alternator turn on then you are going to be idling on battery power. im guessing oyu idle around 500 rpm. im betting your alt doesnt turn on til at least 800 rpm.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Regardless of what you do to the belt the engine is the piece of the puzzle that affects it all as when a alt is tested its for example like mine.

my truck ENGINE IDLE is low around 600 to 650 RPM's at that speed the alt pulley is doing a lot more revolutions per minute in relation to the motor. I'm sure alt companies go by the cars crankcase pulley diameter to get a ratio to know what size pulley to throw on the alt. smaller pulley more alt RPM.

You have smaller pulley but even with that the alt might not be spinning fast enough to turn alt on at idle. I only know of one other man that has gone through that but I'm sure there are more.

Look into what Nate said about ecotec engine and possible solutions for fix.

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

See if he can make your alt externally regulated to let you control the voltage if indeed the alt is in fact on when your using it. You will have to send your alt in to get it modified for the external regulator. If it can be done and is safe for your car see if you can do it. You might get a engine light on your dash as the external regulator bypasses the stock alt harness but as long as you know its fine go for it. My alt is like this but from mechman i was given the heads up about the light so I wouldn't be tripping out and everything working good still.

Good luck and keep us posted.

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

Archived