tips or tricks? JL Components...

DFWxB

I have an 05 scion xb... i have the jl xr-650csi components... 6.5 in the doors with custom spacers (stacked 3/4 mdf) with a plastic tupperware epoxied to the adapters for an enclosure and the tweets on an aluminum bridge in the factory dash locations... and 2-12w6v2's for the subs... my problem is the mids and highs sound good but not great... With the subs turned off there isnt much bottom end... and to me there isnt a great rolloff between sub and mid... if i dont run the amp crossed over then it distorts the mid at a what i consider low volume... any one with any suggestions on the problem or experience with these components...

i am running two 6.5s and a tweet. I get a good solid range from midbass all the way up. You might run into more problems trying to run that many drivers. plus, with 4 tweets and two 4s you may hear even less midbass.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I would suggest that distortion is 1 of 2 things.

1..your speakers not being able to take your 4 channel on ALL PASS

2..your gain is set too high, introducing distortion that you might not hear as badly when the high pass filter is on.

i would

1) check the RMS rating on your speakers, and compare that to your amps output, if both are close matches then its not power. Also if they are on a passive cross over you also have to remember the cross over takes some power to run itself. So im giving 140+ watts to a 125 watt comp set in my car. But i know my signal is clean and i know the cross over needs some power and i dont abuse it. So i know its fine. ALSO, you get more power if you set your amp on ALL PASS vs HIGH PASS, keep that in mind.

2) check the frequency response of your speakers. Mine reproduce as low as "55 hz" but i cross them over at 100 to give me a little bit of mid bass and upper bass, but i dont stress them. Check your amp crossover points, if your trying to cross a 6.5 over lower then 80hz then well..... have fun popping the speakers.

3) tune your system with a DD1, track 1 and 2 (-0 db) to test the headunit distortion points with the gains all the way down, and then once you find the lower of the two points you distort at, set your gains with track 3 and 4 (-5 db) on your max headunit volume with zero distortion reading on the DD1.

4) enjoy no more distortion.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

Hey whatever works for you. You complained about it sounding distorted. those were my suggestions. If you noticed i had a few other suggestions besides cross over points. But i think 70hz is a bit low. Most cross overs are 12 or 24 DB. meaning if you cross them at 70 they will be playing down a whole octave, or 1.5 octaves. So yours might be playing 55hz, which personally is too low for them when you have subs and high power amps.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

mine aren't distorted. OP is the one with the distortion. I have mine set up from 70-2.9k(ish) at 12db. I tuned everything with a DD-1 and have zero problems with them playing anything. and yes, they play lower than 70hz, but at a greatly reduced level (in my case, 12db an octave)

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Well rms on the setup is 70... i have a jl 300/4 on them which is a good match... Just not satisfied with the bottom end... i have to push them pretty hard and crossthem over at a higher frequency to keep up with the subs without distortion... hopefully with the extra 3 way setup i bought today that i can drop the crossover frequency and run less gain and get more volume...

So for a little clarification...are you complaining about the midbass lacking in comparison to higher frequencies or lacking in comparison to your two subs?

If it is the latter of the two, then you may just be expecting too much output from your speakers. To get a better balance in sound the answer may be to turn down the sub stage until it is more balanced with the rest of the music.

Team NorthWestSPL

Well if you turn the subs off completely there still should be some low end... and if you run sine sweeps etc there is definately a hole from where the subs leave off and the mids take over... due to me having to crossover the mids higher to fight distortion... like i said i think i will have this problem taken care of now... just need to get to building... Now the next question is should i use both sets of jl crossovers... the 3 way and the 2 ways... or just run all of them off the 3 way crossovers... i suspect the seperates but i am new to properly setting up my front stage...

Archived