Second Skin Audio

Need some help, Enclosure layout

Ludachris5150

Box is for a suv (explorer 98), 2 Sundown SA12s,Going to be using 2 full length 4" aeroports, somewhere around 4cf box. I know these are rough sketchs but which layout do most people go with? Or which one should* be louder? Or is there a better layout I should consider? Right now I have a sub/port back box from my old car. Ports in the middle to. Subs are being ran off a crescendo 2k and it just doesnt seem to hit like it should be. also does it matter where the subs are on the top? Should they be as close to the back of the box as possible (towards the front of the truck)???

design3_zpsdab78703.png

design2_zps9511ce2f.png

Rebuild in progress...

TTT... Im sure it matters where the ports are placed. Idk a whole lot about it, Can someone let me know which position would be better? I do see lots of boxs with the port in the middle but theyre either running 4+ subs or better model subs than the sa's... But I also want it to sound good in the passenger seat, not just the driver. #'s arent a concern either. Just looking for a loud/low sub up port back box. Drop some knowledge on me SMD

Rebuild in progress...

One 6" have about the same port area as 2 4"s, the single 6" will be an easier install, although it has shown to work, port area is still rather low for 2 sa-12s and if you want low tuning likely you would need to port to the side so that the aero fits. I would recommend a slot port instead, better control over port area and cheaper.

One 6" have about the same port area as 2 4"s, the single 6" will be an easier install, although it has shown to work, port area is still rather low for 2 sa-12s and if you want low tuning likely you would need to port to the side so that the aero fits. I would recommend a slot port instead, better control over port area and cheaper.

Well I wanted to use aeroports because I have 2 brand new 4" ports laying around. I also have a router with the circle jig off parts express so cutting exact circles isnt a problem. I also used the torres calc and it says with a 4cf box and using the entire length on both ports tuning would be around 29-30, Which is what im looking for. But I do want subs up/ port back, And like you said it may not fit, Tho I can make the box pretty tall or deep. I dont care about keeping the box under the window or anything. Anyways what is you opinion about the 2 designs? Do you think its better to run a port on each side of the back? Or both ports stacked on the drivers side? Im sure I can make either work. Even if the port does have to be external to some extent

Rebuild in progress...

You usually try to have the internal end of the ports as far from the subs as feasible so maybe like the second drawing but not so cornered, anyways as before you port area would be likely suboptimal is not just that you can reach the tuning you are looking for, low port area limits performance, just for you to see the alternative, check this out:

TPort1.jpg

You usually try to have the internal end of the ports as far from the subs as feasible so maybe like the second drawing but not so cornered, anyways as before you port area would be likely suboptimal is not just that you can reach the tuning you are looking for, low port area limits performance, just for you to see the alternative, check this out:

TPort1.jpg

Okay I hear you. Ill either get some more 4's, buy a 6, or just do another slot port. Maybe kerf it tho? The box you showed looks exactly the same as my current box except for the fact that the subs are up in your design. In your opinion do you think I would notice a difference audibly* with subs up? I would basically have to build a new box just to have subs up, Trying to figure out if its worth the time/money to do so... Also do you think the port should be in the middle or should I have the port on the drivers side. Sorry for all the newb questions man. But I appreciate you replyn

Rebuild in progress...

3 4" would be ok port area but would be lengthy, 22 1/4 for a 4.1 cubes net enclosure to that you need to add the needed 4" clearance to the back wall, subs up/ port back is louder in most cases, if you want that, very likely is worth it, but the dimensions of your present box (including port) would also help to see where are you at, the 2k amp seems nice without a doubt, no problem with that, you should review your electrical and your signal path and gains also before looking at the box, kerfs are kind of hard to do, you should have some woodworking experience and tools, there are some performance advantages but mostly improve aesthetics.

3 4" would be ok port area but would be lengthy, 22 1/4 for a 4.1 cubes net enclosure to that you need to add the needed 4" clearance to the back wall, subs up/ port back is louder in most cases, if you want that, very likely is worth it, but the dimensions of your present box (including port) would also help to see where are you at, the 2k amp seems nice without a doubt, no problem with that, you should review your electrical and your signal path and gains also before looking at the box, kerfs are kind of hard to do, you should have some woodworking experience and tools, there are some performance advantages but mostly improve aesthetics.

Sounds good, Thank you. Ill get the exact dimensions of my current box in a day or so. Honestly idk if my current box has enough port area so that could be one of my problems. But I can pretty much go as deep, wide, or high as I would need to go. Id rather just spend $ on wood for a new box than waste it on more aeros so ill pry go with another slot port design.

Rebuild in progress...

Sorry it took me a minute. Current box is 15 1/2 H, 32 W, and 24 D. Port is 4" W, then 20" deep, theirs a tiny 45 deg angle so it turns then its another 8-10" ( I dont remember how much room is between the side wall and the end of the port but I know its atleast 2-4". Pretty sure its tuned around 32 hz. I had the plans but misplaced them, It was a decaf designd box. Is there anyway you could help me out with a design for subs up/port back, single drivers side port OR a port going across the bottom (whatever you think would be better) my max dimensions are 40 W, 30 D, and 18 H. Like I said just looking to get loud and low so Id like to be at about 29-31hz, With the amount of port area that I need. Lmk, I dont mind paying for it if needed...

Rebuild in progress...

So I checked your box specs and they seem in range for a 1K/sub power, it should be like 3.9 cubes @ 31Hz with 56 square inches of port, the port area seems also in range.

What I would do is check the port to be properly built, if the center duct is 4" the lateral ducts should be 2", if there are 45s at the turn of the port, those should not reduce the width to less than 2" each side.

If the port is actually well built I would modify the box opening holes on the top and covering the ones on the side and see how it goes before planning a different design.

Archived