Second Skin Audio

how not to have loading issues?

alaskanzx5

so i know that having the sub(s) to close to the port can creat loading/unloading issues but im not sure how to make sure a box design wouldnt have those issues. so i have a few questions about it that will not only help me but other box building noobies.

how far away from the port should a subwoofer be from the port?

is there a difference in how much distance there should be if its a aero port compared to a slot port?

if doing under rms to the sub can it be closer to the port? what about over rms?

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

The main issue is having a multiple sub, non-symmetric enclosure. Different subs in different positions can react differently to the pressure behind them. Doesn't really matter how far they are from the port or how much power you are running, it can happen.

In my van, the sub farthest from the port had the worst problem. I had 6 subs and lucky for me I was running 6 amps. I used the SSF filter on that amp to keep the sub under control.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

so a box with a slot port on the side and 2 subs would be more likely to have issues then a box with a center slot port on the bottom of the box with 1 common wall since both subs would symetric? or if using round ports and you place the round ports side by side in the middle with a sub on each side?

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

pretty much

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

so a center port design would best prevent this issue because the subs would have a more even amount of preasure being put on them.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

Yes

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived