79Bronco Posted November 1, 2012 Report Posted November 1, 2012 If my preouts are 4v and my amp has a gain setting of 9v to .2v, does leaving it at the 8v position effectively half the power on each channel? Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
rocking.that.eclipse Posted November 1, 2012 Report Posted November 1, 2012 I think that CJ did something with this in a line driver. I'll see if i can dig up the thread or the video
rocking.that.eclipse Posted November 1, 2012 Report Posted November 1, 2012 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/152901-how-to-properly-tune-a-line-driver-with-dd1/ Here is the link to the thread
79Bronco Posted November 1, 2012 Author Report Posted November 1, 2012 Great videos, but did not really answer my question. Let's say output voltage on RCA's is 4v Assuming input gain on amp is set to 4v, it will be producing it's maximum unclipped power rating. Let's set the input gain to 8v. Will it produce half the power rating? Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
ROLEXrifleman Posted November 1, 2012 Report Posted November 1, 2012 I don't know if it will be an exact 1/2 of the power output but yes, it will reduce the wattage output when compared to matching the radio output to the amp input. I have done this in the past to "limit" the output of an amp Rolex you sicken me. Just let me finish my pie ~ Juice
ROLEXrifleman Posted November 1, 2012 Report Posted November 1, 2012 I have also had to power DOWN my head unit output by running it into a processor and limiting the processor output to something the amplifier could use. Rolex you sicken me. Just let me finish my pie ~ Juice
79Bronco Posted November 1, 2012 Author Report Posted November 1, 2012 Thanks! Just picked up a soundstream ref 4.920 (150x4) and it's just too much power for my components. I guess I'll be busting out the oscope and clamp meter tomorrow to make sure nothing goes kaboom! Fortunately, the amp's input gain is variable from 9v to .2v, so I'll have some headroom Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
ROLEXrifleman Posted November 1, 2012 Report Posted November 1, 2012 I understand what your doing and had to do the same thing myself. I had a punch 200 dsm that did 175 watts x 2 at 4ohms when matched properly to my deck. I dialed it down to a true 100x2 with no issue on the o-scope and DD-1 showing no distortion. People will look at you funny though when you tell them you had to " dial down" the amp Rolex you sicken me. Just let me finish my pie ~ Juice
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.