Sundown Audio

Looking for a 3-channel amp ...

Sutliff

Where did you read that 250watts per IB3 is ideal? Not doubting it, but they're rated at 550w per from 20Hz up.

All of those 4 channels I listed above have just as many, if not more, crossover options as a mono block.

If you want a 1 ohm stable amp, than that's fine - But you haven't gotten the subs yet, which means you aren't limited to 1 ohm amps yet.

A 4 channel amp, with channels 3 and 4 bridged, will work just as well as a 3 channel amp.

With that being said, that Soundstream amp is a nice one! If you like that one, get it! :)

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

You said it in Post #5, or at least what you did say, I took it as that is what you meant.

Here is what you said: "This one should match your 250watts/woofer perfectly, DC 175.4. You'll have to email them for a quote:

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/175k.html"

I took it as you were stating that around 250/sub was a good start to get 'em dancing, even though they can handle much, much more.

I do not quite understand your comment about me not having the FI's yet, but talking about me being limited to 1- or 2-ohm, as I have stated, is from the fact that the IB312's are available in SVC 2- or 4-ohm models. If I got 2 of the 2-ohm models, I would wire them so the amp would see 1-ohm, two 4-ohm subs, it would "see" 2-ohms. This comes from the fact that I am limited to two subs, & 12" at that. They will be plug & play ... pull out the Comps, & if there are any small cutting needs to be done, then so be it, but I am not removing the baffle. And this will not happen until the spring. I am putting this car up for the winter here in 3 weeks. I will collect the funds over the next 3+ months to get my mitts on two FI's & a new amp. I love my deck, & it is brand new, same with the components in the door(s).

I run simple these days. When I was a whipper-snapper, I did all the nutty crap. Taking an Orion 225 HCCA & running 10 speakers off of it, including two 12" subs ... stable to 1/2-ohm ... all that in the cabin of a 1982 El Camino. I created a 3 amp system when I was in college in a 84 Cutlass ... but the all star of the system were these two 10" pioneer home stereo woofers ... 8-ohms ... my friend i mentioned earlier had a program on his PC (back in 94) that he was able to input all sorts of driver specs, etc., and it output specs for a ported enclosure that we ended up making out of some left over 1/2" plywood & MDF, & the perfect length PVC port. I cant tell you, for what they were, and the modicum of power that i had in a amp to give them, they boomed like some boxes that people had pro-built. That is where I first learned that bass it is probably over 80% based on how "good" the enclosure is, & if the driver(s) are right for the enclosure. As I am sure you have in your time in car audio, I have seen four 8" subs - forget the make - absolute drop bottom over a set of 15s that some kid just threw into a lame box he made at hom, screwed together wrong, didnt seal with any liquid nails, nothing, it was either too big, or two small, the wiring (phase) was all fugged up, ... Ugh!

I did the nutty stuff too, but I like to think I always thought every move out first, at least 10 times., now I am mellowing out a 'lil bit in my old age, and learning a bit about SQ

Also something I want to be able to do is make sure I am not insanely bass heavy with these FI's ... & the fact that there will be a greater separation in power between them & the components than what I have right now. I suppose It can all be controlled through gains, etc., yes?

Thanks for you patience with me. I will not say it again, ... I actually had a guy on here back in the spring, who was assisting me a tad, while I was posting pics of my build, etc., that I thanked each time he helped me with something major & he was supposedly ready to come kick my ass because I was too "thankful", and he didnt want to see it anymore.

Eh, I will stop rambling. I look FWD to anything & everything you care to share with what I have said so far.

Zeke

'14

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

Fi IB3 (Two 12", 2-ohm SVC)

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

311-vector-logo_zps0d152f73.png sutliffSig_zpsb1df26dd.png

I meant you can wire the two 2 ohm subs in series, to 4 ohms. And the two 4 ohm subs, in parallel, to 2 ohms.

If all you want is 250 watts each, that's fine. I'm used to everyone trying to squeeze everything they can out of their subs, like me. :P

That Soundstream amp should do you well!

It is looking more and more like that Reference amp might be the one for me. Certainly a bunch more investigating to do, and

plenty of time to do it.

What ohm sub would you get? The 2-ohm & have the amp see 1-ohm for approx. 250W per/sub, or 4-ohm sub & have the amp see 2-ohm for an approx. 230W per/sub? (Maybe further down the line I will be in a position where I will want to drive the Hell out of these with a 1,00W or more, & go insane with multi-amps, etc., but for right now, & in this car/application, this is the optimal system I want.

Zeke

'14

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

The 20 watt difference wont be too much different, probably couldn't tell by ear. Not sure what the sound quality difference would be, you may have better bound quality at 2 ohms over 1 ohms, but it might not be noticeable by ear. That one's up to you. It will certainly be easier to fully power them later down the road with 1100 watts, if you go the 1 ohm route.

That is what I was thinking, ... That I will have more "options" with the 2-ohm subs down the road should I decide to do something different with them, add two more & get an amp that's 1/2-ohm stable, etc. Who knows. But as it sits, I am very excited about finally getting the FI's ...

With all the mods I bought last winter, & bought & performed this spring & summer, getting the subs I wanted & a better amp were not on the list. But I was able to get the double-DIN head unit I wanted and the components, plus build the 3-layer baffle and mount it so that I could take advantage of any woofer I ended up with. It cost me $68 for one brand spanking new 12" Kicker Comp, & I got the 2nd one for free - could not pass up that deal, & I bought the Kicker ZX550.3 brand new in 2005, & have always loved it ... has powered 4 separate systems of mine, but I do not want it in this car/situation. I am going to put it in my truck at a later date ... this coming up summer. But anyway ...

One other piece of equipment I have found - another amp -: https://www.massiveaudio.com/products/amplifiers/nx3-3-channel-amplifier/

120 x 2 RMS for components, & 600 x 1 on the mono side @ 2-ohms.

Zeke

'14

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

You could get a rockford fosgate T500-1bdCP and a rockford fosgate T600-2?

98' dodge ram

140A alt

Big 3

XS D2700

JVC kd-r310

Rockford T500-1BDCP

2 Sundown E12 Ported 4cubes 35hz

Rockford P400-4

2 Infinity reference 3way 6x9

2 Polk DB 5 1/4

2x layer dynamat all doors

Good suggestion !

Uh, as the OP (Me) stated, a all-in-one 3-chaneel, or 5-channel unit was sought.

For the application I am working with, & how I am having to take system components down/out, & the space I will have to work with after replacing Kicker Comps with FI IB312's, I am NOT going to be in any position to wire, up, mount, etc., a bi-amp system.

As it turns out, the SoundStream (REF5.1000), that it appears I have almost set my mind on, at the moment, has a great "foot print" to actually cover a lot of marks that will be left if I decide not recover a panel or two that I am mounting, etc., to.

The Massive amp, looks amazing, too. I have a big decisions. Though with the Massive, I will have to re-build a couple panels because it is sizeably smaller.

Zeke

'14

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

Archived