Want to start Fiber glassing

Noel989

Epoxy is a lot more expensive. I personally prefer polyeser but some swear by epoxy. If you are a beginner, there is no reason to spend the extra money on epoxy. I agree that there are much better products than bondo or 3m, although they do work. The better products allow more like 15-20 minutes working time whereas the bondo/3m only allows like 5-10 minutes before it turns to jello. Just get the cheapest stuff to experiment. I found a fiberglass discount store locally and buy gallons at $25 and 5 gallons at $90. I would never buy less than a gallon at a time.

Neither, both suck. They are thick as hell, and don't apply too awesome. FInd a local place that sells, or go to the US composites website. I get mine from a local guy here in Glendale, AZ and the product is superior. Mat is mat, but the resin is where you'll notice huge differences.

Go here:

http://www.uscomposi...polyesters.html

noooooo no no no i couldn't disagree with you more about the matting. bondo stuff is ok to use if you're in a clutch, but if you get the US composites mat, it's WORLDS difference. it does not fray near as much. i separate my matting layers so it's easier to wet out and get fewer bubbles and it separates SO much easier than the bondo stuff. imo resin is resin lol. i've used both, and US composites is nicer and the color change is nice but since i don't stock the resin, i just get home depot stuff when i need it. if i had a place to locally get nice resin i definitely would over the bondo kind tho

I'm not looking for the best I just want to mess around with it so I can learn ima go check my shop maybe next week and see what they have check prices there, home depot and from US I'm leaning towards home depot just cause it's close amd I could walk whenever I need it

No need to get the good stuff if I'm just going to learn if and when I do a bigger project I'll try it out

Archived