Looking at getting into DJing.

So i have kind of been thinking about getting into djing for a couple of years now and i have been trying to test the waters to see how much a decent beginners set up would cost not looking to do crazy huge set up just something to do like small weddings, school dances, stuff like that, so what would you guys recommend.

!999.5 Volkswagen Jetta

1 Planet Audio BIg Bang 15

Powerbass 1500,1

i know a guy who started with just his laptop (mp3s)/ amplifier / speakers / mic

i guess that was good enough for him

he put money into lights instead of upgrading sound equipment

got a nice sound card put on his laptop

he got satellite broadband internet so incase theres a song request he dont have, he can download it

good luck! :djparty:

**actin bad like a kid at six flags**

Easiest way would be a basic DJ mixer and a set of powered speakers. For the price, I endorse the EV LiveX series. Sound great for about any small event, full, even, loud sound. They're like $599 for the 12" two-way and $799 for the 18" sub. There are plenty of DJ controllers out there as well ranging from a couple hundred to a couple thousand $$$. Just depends on what you're looking for.

As far as lighting, it's your choice. There are several "DJ Packages' out there on sites like iDJNow.com which would work fine to get started. If you have the cash, go for intelligent lighting, I.E. moving heads and scanners, and LED wash lights. Me and RCP Audio are the (AFAIK) most active when it comes to sound equipment, and we'll be glad to answer any questions. I have a bit more experience in being a DJ, not a whole lot, but more than none :lol:

POTATO!

I started up for around 1200 with no lights. This was an amp, two speakers, mixer, and the cost of wood and carpet to make a stand for the laptop, mixer and amp. I also got a lot of free stuff from friends that needed car audio work done. Make sure you get a good mixer from the start. I bought the gemini ctrl six and basically outgrew what I could do with that and a piece of shit virtual dj LE. I can say that price is a strict function of quality in most cases. If I could go back I would have saved up more and bought better stuff. Craigslist is a pretty good place to get cheap lights for just starting up. Also, look into how long setting everything up will take. My current rig takes two of us over an hour to set up everything. On top of that look at how much stuff weighs. my two main speakers are over 100lbs each and the sub is aswell. Mind you these are all unpowered. Carrying heavy shit up stairs sucks ass but the money can usually offset a little heavy lifting.

I don't know much about DJing but I know equipment. What size events are you wanting to do? Weddings? School events? Any gig that comes around? Lol.

I would suggest going active, it's easy to set up, easy to pack down, no amp racks, and will easily get the job done. It all depends on how much you want to spend as to what you get, iceman suggested the ev's and I don't have a problem recommending them aswel, but go have a listen to them all your self and you decide.

As for lights, are you wanting to go for a couple of T stands. Or a truss setup? Truss looks impressive but is also bulky compared to some good sturdy stands. Scanners are going to be one of the best bets for the price. They are fast reacting and effective. Get a couple of led washes ( ether cans or bars) you can use them as flashing effects or as light on a dance floor, or if you have a more up class event in a venue that is well lit you can use them as up lighting which is highly effective. A lazer or led effect light is also a good cheap way to go, just don't go buying one of everything it will look like total shit. Have a bit of a plan as to what you want, we can help you out, before you start buying stuff.

I don't live in the US of A so can't suggest websites as I don't know any .com ones lol.

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

i know a guy who started with just his laptop (mp3s)/ amplifier / speakers / mic

i guess that was good enough for him

he put money into lights instead of upgrading sound equipment

got a nice sound card put on his laptop

he got satellite broadband internet so incase theres a song request he dont have, he can download it

good luck! :djparty:

Easiest way would be a basic DJ mixer and a set of powered speakers. For the price, I endorse the EV LiveX series. Sound great for about any small event, full, even, loud sound. They're like $599 for the 12" two-way and $799 for the 18" sub. There are plenty of DJ controllers out there as well ranging from a couple hundred to a couple thousand $$$. Just depends on what you're looking for.

As far as lighting, it's your choice. There are several "DJ Packages' out there on sites like iDJNow.com which would work fine to get started. If you have the cash, go for intelligent lighting, I.E. moving heads and scanners, and LED wash lights. Me and RCP Audio are the (AFAIK) most active when it comes to sound equipment, and we'll be glad to answer any questions. I have a bit more experience in being a DJ, not a whole lot, but more than none :lol:

I was a mobile DJ not too long ago, whats your budget??

I started up for around 1200 with no lights. This was an amp, two speakers, mixer, and the cost of wood and carpet to make a stand for the laptop, mixer and amp. I also got a lot of free stuff from friends that needed car audio work done. Make sure you get a good mixer from the start. I bought the gemini ctrl six and basically outgrew what I could do with that and a piece of shit virtual dj LE. I can say that price is a strict function of quality in most cases. If I could go back I would have saved up more and bought better stuff. Craigslist is a pretty good place to get cheap lights for just starting up. Also, look into how long setting everything up will take. My current rig takes two of us over an hour to set up everything. On top of that look at how much stuff weighs. my two main speakers are over 100lbs each and the sub is aswell. Mind you these are all unpowered. Carrying heavy shit up stairs sucks ass but the money can usually offset a little heavy lifting.

I don't know much about DJing but I know equipment. What size events are you wanting to do? Weddings? School events? Any gig that comes around? Lol.

I would suggest going active, it's easy to set up, easy to pack down, no amp racks, and will easily get the job done. It all depends on how much you want to spend as to what you get, iceman suggested the ev's and I don't have a problem recommending them aswel, but go have a listen to them all your self and you decide.

As for lights, are you wanting to go for a couple of T stands. Or a truss setup? Truss looks impressive but is also bulky compared to some good sturdy stands. Scanners are going to be one of the best bets for the price. They are fast reacting and effective. Get a couple of led washes ( ether cans or bars) you can use them as flashing effects or as light on a dance floor, or if you have a more up class event in a venue that is well lit you can use them as up lighting which is highly effective. A lazer or led effect light is also a good cheap way to go, just don't go buying one of everything it will look like total shit. Have a bit of a plan as to what you want, we can help you out, before you start buying stuff.

I don't live in the US of A so can't suggest websites as I don't know any .com ones lol.

Thanks everyone i just wanted to see what cost would be and after seeing how much a whole setup will cost this probably won't happen for at least another year, thanks again for the advice everyone

!999.5 Volkswagen Jetta

1 Planet Audio BIg Bang 15

Powerbass 1500,1

How much it costs is really up to you!!

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

How much it costs is really up to you!!

^^^^^^ this is true! I started with less than $1000 in equipment. and then upgrade everything, one thing at a time

smdban.jpg

audio related merchandise (decals,banners,lanyards,hats,shirt,etc)

Also that way you will be able to see what you need more and where you money is going to be best spent

Archived