Second Skin Audio

building a ported box for the first time

rambo.93

aight, thanks for the tips. ill be sure to adjust the baffle thing if i decide to do it. i think i might just leave it alone though. and interesting about aiming the subs towards the car...would it still be beneficial to do that if i didnt seal anything off, just turned the box around? and ok...the only measurement that can be adjusted is the depth so ill see if i can make the port area larger without making the net volume too big. and i am wanting it to be just a center slot port so that part is hopefully good. thanks guys!

On a side note, i love that kole audio you have its a GREAT amp. Used it before.

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

oh good. haha i couldnt find too much information about it so i was hesitant, but the guy had it powering 3 JLs and it sounded great so i took the chance. im not sure what all the random settings on it mean tho. my last amp only had gain, low pass frequency thing, and bass booster to agjust.

also......i cannot figure out how to adjust the settings to make the port area go up without making the box a lot bigger or the tuning go super high.....anybody have any suggestions for that? its hurting my head trying to figure it out...

This is going to be a long post, but if you want to learn, this is the thought process...

Ok, you need to figure out what's constant and what can change. (I'm going to use somewhat random numbers)

We know you're shooting for 2.8 cu ft.

We know you want 15 sq in of port per cu ft.

2.8 cu ft * 15 sq in = 42 sq in port area.

We know that you want your box 14" tall x 30" wide.

Since we know the box is 14" tall, it's 12.5" inside.

42 sq in port area / 12.5" height = 3.36" port width (call it 3.25")

The only things left to change are box depth & port length.

Here is where I would use the "Desired Net Volume" field. When you enter your 2.8 into that field it will ignore the "Box Dimensions". You have forced the net volume to be 2.8 regardless of the shape of the box or port. Now you can play with port dimensions to watch the effect on tuning. So enter your known port width & height from above. Now all you have to do is mess with the length until you reach 35 Hz (or whatever). These are your port dimensions.

Now DELETE the 2.8 out of the "Desired Net Volume" field. You're done with it - since you want to enter your real box dimensions.

The only variable dimension left is the box depth. Adjust +/- until you reach 2.8 net.

There's always a chance of running into problems. If you don't have enough room, you have to start fudging numbers...but you should have plenty of room.

Also, the newer version of Torres is acting up a little. That might also be messing with you. I can try the old version at work tomorrow.

'09 Sierra Ext Cab - under construction

(1) RF T2500-1 -running- (4) RF T1 12's

(1) RF T1000-4 -running- (2) RF T1652-S

Stock alt / battery -plus- (1) DC Power 230a & (2) Kinetik 1800

Buncha OFC Knu

Buncha Second Skin

Kenwood DDX814 - Alpine Imprint - RF 360.3

damn, your color scheme is sick for torres. haha and aight, ill change those things up and post another picture. thanks! and nice looking box. i sure hope mine will look that clean and neat. i feel like mine might end up with not such smooth edges...haha

I've built a box or two in my day ;)

Just take your time, predrill your holes and you'll be fine. Measure twice, cut once.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived