Second battery, hookup OK?

So in the spring I plan on hooking up a second battery in the rear of my Explorer. I pan on making a battery box out a boat battery box I have laying around, and making a custom vent system. I just want to make sure I hook it up right. so from the ground, and front battery, I am just hooking the second battery up in series, so the amps draw power from the second battery first, and then the front. I want to reduce the strain on my alt, and get rid of the slight dimming lights I have. I am also just going to use the battery that came with my truck, since it still works good, but I wanted to get a higher rated one just in case. I also see this working out better because, I can get rid of the distribution blocks, and just get another set of JL battery clamps, and go right from the rear battery. So does anybody see any problem with this setup before I go through with it?

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

I don't know what you mean by clamps, but you want to use 1/0 wire with correct terminals to safely attach the wire to the battery.

And it's not a good idea to use stock batteries as secondaries because those batteries release toxic fumes.

When people run batteries in the rear of the vehicle they use agm batteries due to the fast discharge and recharge rate and the fact that the battery does not release the fumes.

I highly suggest you don't use a "stock" battery inside of the cab

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

You can do a rear ground. But if you can afford it, I personally believe in isolated grounds.

Plus, if you can't find a good rear ground, your backseat seat belt bolt will NOT work well.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

If I can find a decent priced, and good quality AGM Battery, I plan on getting that. If I do use the stock lead acid battery, I was going to have it in a sealed, and vented box. I believe I might have said it wrong as well, I meant to say pos. to pos., and neg. to neg. for the battery's. I understand parallel, and series wiring, I was typing too fast, I guess. My whole wiring for my charging, and battery up front is 4 gauge, so I am just going to run 4 gauge wire to the battery in the rear. I am not running a whole bunch of power, but I have many other things running on my truck, such as CB, Radio, off road light, ect....

I have a grommet already, and I am drilling a hole in the rear cargo area to attach to the frame, on the same side as the ground from the front.

Archived