Second Skin Audio

Will T/S specs help determine how big/small of a box is best?

IKnowImLost224

I recently made a box for my eminent audio 12" 2k. This sub is pretty sick but I feel like I'm hindering the performance with my box. I had it in a prefab and it POUNDED on the higher notes but did nothing on the low notes. I decided to make a box tuned to 32 HZ to try to get a little lower with it. It still hits those higher bass notes pretty well but still does nothing on the lows. The owner of eminent audio recommended 1.5-2 cu ft for this sub. I rounded all port edges including outside of the box, here are the sub box specs...

Outer Dimensions (H x W x D) 16 x 19 x 22

Port dimensions 14.5 x 2 x 33

Net volume 1.96 ft^3

Gross volume 3.01 ft^3

Port volume 1.05 ft^3

Port area 29 in^2

Port area per ft 14.8 in^2

Port ratio 1:7.25

Tuning 32 Hz

Or is something way out of spec or proportion with this box? I'm new to what should be good port area/ratio so by all means if you have info to help me please let me know. Also will T/S parameters help determine what kind of box is best for a sub as far as size, sealed, ported, etc. thank you in advance!

On a side note, I noticed with the prefab box I had it in originally that when the box was closer to the seat (sub and port firing towards trunk) it was MUCH louder. I'm wondering if because this box I made is a little deeper and is closer to the trunk if thy could be playing a factor in the sound

Now this is just my two cents and I am far from experienced in building any type of box but I thought I'd try to give some of my previous experiences. Someone else may come in and say otherwise on the topic.

First ported box I built with a little knowledge and a lot of help played well all around in my opinion. It was for a 12" DC level 3 wired to 2 ohms on a Hifonics BXI1606. I'll leave you the design I made out for that setup below. Now, I don't recommend you just build a box like it since I don't know how your sub will work in that situation. Also you might have different space restrictions, so just test and test to see what works best. I guess I got lucky building this particular box and loving how it sounded.

Now another thing, go look for those t/s specs and play around with designs using winISD to plot out and idea of how the sub might perform in any given box. I myself don't know the program too well but pay attention to the output and levels throughout the subs frequency range for something you think is suitable.

Good luck man, here to further help if I can.

boxdraft2.png

And a vid of the setup if you feel like watching it in action :D

An Audio Technix 18" Strato on a Kicker KX120.2

My Youtube Bass Vids

Updates When Possible...

I've bought from JBurt09, OrionStang, bcpballer64, LoudNLow931, audioman21, and CJ18 from here (as refs)

7j2.png

Now this is just my two cents and I am far from experienced in building any type of box but I thought I'd try to give some of my previous experiences. Someone else may come in and say otherwise on the topic.

First ported box I built with a little knowledge and a lot of help played well all around in my opinion. It was for a 12" DC level 3 wired to 2 ohms on a Hifonics BXI1606. I'll leave you the design I made out for that setup below. Now, I don't recommend you just build a box like it since I don't know how your sub will work in that situation. Also you might have different space restrictions, so just test and test to see what works best. I guess I got lucky building this particular box and loving how it sounded.

Now another thing, go look for those t/s specs and play around with designs using winISD to plot out and idea of how the sub might perform in any given box. I myself don't know the program too well but pay attention to the output and levels throughout the subs frequency range for something you think is suitable.

Good luck man, here to further help if I can.

boxdraft2.png

And a vid of the setup if you feel like watching it in action :D

I appreciate the box design and will have to check out winisd. Is it pretty simple to use or will it take some getting used to?

can you post the Thiele/Small params for the sub?

I just sent a e-mail to the owner of Eminent Audio to get the parameters. They are a newer company and don't have them posted unfortunately :^/

Archived