Second Skin Audio

Port Calculating Formula

thegr8cody

can anyone break down the port calculating formula i dont have specs on my sub and it looks like im gonna have to build it off specs of my btl

1998 gmc sierra

h/u:eclipse cd3200

sub:dd9518g d1.5

amp:jl e300/4

sub amp:dd m2a

front stage:id ctx65cs

dc power 270 alt

lots of kicker 1/0

Av = vent area

Lv = effective length of vent (effective length = physical length + end correction <---1/2 of the ports width)

Vb= net volume in cubic inches

Fb = tuning frequency

Fb = .159*((Av(1.84*10^8)/(Vb(Lv+.823*Av^.5))^.5

Av...just your ports height * width=port area

Lv...dont measure the wood used for the port to find length. you want to measure down the dead middle of the port like in the pic below...and if your port uses at least one box wall as part of the port (like this one does) then you need to add half of the ports width to the length to get the effective length (in the pic below this would be an addition of 1.5")

porttutorial.jpg

the port displacement also needs to be subtracted from the box volume...its the air space inside the port plus the wood used for the port itself....

as you will find out it kind of becomes a kind of a circular equation....as where changing your ports size will directly affect the box volume, therefore directly affecting your tuning

basically once you have ur vent area and internal box volume (Vb in cubic inches) then you just play with the length of the port until you find whatever frequency ur looking for

i likes me some audio stuff...

Archived