Second Skin Audio

Building A Sub-woofer: How To Wind A Coil To Desired Resistance?

AllanLuberda

I'm sure there is a formula for it. There are formulas for making inductors, so there must be a way to figure resistance based on the properties of the wire and number of windings. I really hope someone from a manufacturer jumps in to provide more wisdom. I can also ask one of my professors.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

I'm sure there is a formula for it. There are formulas for making inductors, so there must be a way to figure resistance based on the properties of the wire and number of windings. I really hope someone from a manufacturer jumps in to provide more wisdom. I can also ask one of my professors.

Lol hope we do get someone who knows, I have a fealing alot of people are wondering this, and there just isnt much info online for it.

the way some companies get D1 coils, is actually four coils paralleled together, might be true for some D2 coils. Lets say you get a coil that's a D2 but you need a S2, you can actually remove the outer windings with out damaging the inner coil. You have different wire used in different applications, one sub might be a 8 layer coil but uses a 24ga winding then you might have a 4 layer coil with 16ga windings, but each one might have the same thickness. But it's not usually winding a coil to set resistance, it's picking the proper winding wire to give the 4ohm resistance. There are quite a few different techniques used to build coils. Then you can go into the realm of former material. Kapton, stainless, aluminum, titanium and there's a few others. Each offering unique properties.

Don't forget to use the proper temp rating if you are trying to actually build a speaker.

When you find magnetic wire, it should have a DCR rating. Ohms/Kft, or sometimes it will have how many ft is 1 ohm.

For a 4 ohm driver, you should be safe to wind to ~3.5 DCR.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

exactly how many windings?How many layers? and what size gauge wire?What length coil?I wonder if there is a math formula for it. do you just insulate coil 1 from coil 2 after 4, or 8 layers to get a dvc coil?

Exactly 42 winds will give you everything you could want.

42 is the answer.

because every former is exactly the same size, every wind is exactly the same, every piece of wire has exactly the same amount of resistance.

Archived