Second Skin Audio

75 Chevy blowthrough idea help

JesseyMclame

So I have a 75 Chevy 3/4 ton longbed. Now, behind-the-seat bass isn't cutting it. I'd like to do 4 12's and do a blowthrough. The problem ? Well, my truck is lifted 8" and is on 39" tires, and I like to go wheelin every now and again. My problem lies when I go wheelin. It's not just mud, sometimes I crawl up hills, and go over frame twisters and such. Those of you who own a truck and wheel it, know that when the truck articulates, the bed moves and sometimes when articulated enough, it even hits the cab. Is there anything I can do to prevent this ? Maybe some sort of serious weather stripping ? I'm kinda just trying to get ideas here. Thank you so much, guys!

Current setup in my 96 Hoe

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Amps - (4) Crossfire C5 1700D's, MTX Thunder 5604(mids), PPI Art 300.2 (tweets)

Batts - 4 91ah rear batts, 50ah batt up front.

Subs - 2 Crossfire XSv2 18's

Alt - Singer 330A

Front stage - Random JL & Eclipse mids, Eclipse tweets

If you have that much frame flex there's a couple different options if you dont want to box the frame in.

1 - Mount box to cab.. will require some additional support (leave flex room under between box and truck bed)

2 - Mount box to truck bed. Tire tube (in combination with truck boot material maybe) might work to bridge the cab-box gap. Building the front of the box like a port so it sticks into the cab (with clearance between cab cut and cab port to allow flexing) might allow a tighter seal to be made with tire tube and/or the usually preferred truck boot material. Reducing the gap between the cab and front wall of the truck box may help but you have to be careful as the frame flex causing the box to touch the cab may reduce the gap and cause structural issues to the back of the cap if the gap is too small.

edit

Yeah, frame flex is totally a bitch :)

0804001854.jpg

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

So essentially what you're saying is completely Mount box to bed, cut a hole in the cab side of te bed for the box to Juuuust fit in to, and then seal around the whole cut between the box and the cab cut ? Since it would just be some sort of rubber or something between the bed and cab, wouldn't I lose some sort of sound ?

And I have a bench seat. And I had just a 12 behind there, and before that I had 4 8s sealed. But I had to sell that. I just want to do 4 12s or something. I have an 18 I could use, but if the cone was facing the inside of the cab, I couldn't, because it's too tall. If you could provide a sketch up or something that'd be able to help me loads. I suck at picturing stuff like this in my head .. Lol. The gap between bed and cab is about an inch, an inch and a half.

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Alt - Singer 330A

The accordion rubber wouldn't give me a loss of sound ?

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Alt - Singer 330A

Also, what could I do to weatherproof the box in the bed ? Im thinking rhino line the shit out of it, then maybe lay some black diamond plate on it ?

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Alt - Singer 330A

Yes, accordian rubber will lose sound, which is why I suggested building the box so it sticks into the cab slighlty so you could have a better seal (and some directionality to reduce direct loss through the accordian boot). You need to build the opening with the amount of flex you have happening in mind or else you will pinch the boot and box causing some kind of damage...

Paint works good if you dont want to spend lots. Just use good tough paint, and maybe a layer of fiberglass resin, the whole exterior of the box. Assuming you build the box strong enough that it doesnt flex it will be good.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

Okay. I think I might just make my truck a mud truck.. So I'm not worrying too much about articulation now. I'm a dumbass for even crawling the thing haha. But I'm thinking of putting some sort of waterproofing on it, putting a nice boot or some sort of weather stripping around the holes of the truck and cab, slide the box in so it sits flush inside the cab, and then bolt it down to the truck bed. And then rhino line the box. I have an 18 I'm gonna use.. But I'd have to angle it cause it's too tall. Would you be able to help draw me up a box ? This is my first time doing a blowthrough and I wanna do it right

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Alt - Singer 330A

What kind of mud? If it gets to the doors its going to get into the truck...

Hammerdown... 1%

Archived