I can't take it anymore *Need Black Rims*

I'm painting my rims asap. At least until I save up for some powdercoating lol. I just can't keep looking at my car with the plain silver rims. It's bugging me.

Anything I need to know? Rough it up with sand paper, wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol to remove grease, coat of primer, and a couple coats of paint? I'm thinking eggshell black.

There is no need to tape off my tire is there? Just toss a coat of tire black on it and the paint should come right off?

According to a friend of mine, the paint will come off of the tire after a couple of days so you most likely won't need to worry about it. I would go ahead and mask the tire off anyway, just so it looks cleaner when done and doesn't have that sloppy tackiness for a few days

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

How about the actual painting process itself? I'm also going to sand the hard corners on the rim so it is easier on the paint (stamped rims, 1 step above steelies)

i'm really glad this is about painting rims and not your recent health issues!!

:drinks:

Your title had me worried!

Haha thanks brother!

They are starting to clear up on their own, it seems. Time to get my ass back in gear :)

Mineral spirits. Brake dust is a bitch. So, clean them up good, sand, mineral spirits one more time before you paint. Make sure they are dry, and don't touch any metal wit your bare hands because the fingerprint will show.

So

1. Clean

2. Mineral spirits

3. Sand

4. Mineral spirits.

5. make sure its dry

6. paint

Mineral spirits. Brake dust is a bitch. So, clean them up good, sand, mineral spirits one more time before you paint. Make sure they are dry, and don't touch any metal wit your bare hands because the fingerprint will show.

So

1. Clean

2. Mineral spirits

3. Sand

4. Mineral spirits.

5. make sure its dry

6. paint

Mineral spirits are very oily. I've used it to get road tar and stuff off, but never before painting. Some things i use to ensure a clean surface is just a plain soap and water wipe down, lacquer thinner and also a tack rag.

Remember the final product will only be as good as your prep work.

So

1. Clean

2. Mineral spirits

3. Sand

4. Mineral spirits.

5. make sure its dry

6. paint

Mineral spirits are very oily. I've used it to get road tar and stuff off, but never before painting. Some things i use to ensure a clean surface is just a plain soap and water wipe down, lacquer thinner and also a tack rag.

Remember the final product will only be as good as your prep work.

I agree, Lacquer thinner would be better.

Archived