Kinde Fire HD or the iPad Mini for a 6 yr old learning to read

books? they are online, which is why I was looking to get her a tablet. She is very bright, I want something that challenges her when my wife and I aren't there to challenge her. I don't want it as a baby sitter, nor do I want it to be used from the time she gets home from 1st grade to bed... just a couple of hours... I still love watching her color and playing with barbies... but I want her to exceed, and anything I can to do help and not be overly pushy I will... I want her to have a childhood still, but she is currently setting the benchmark on all the states tests, so she is smart... I want to her to stay that way.

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

how about just a book bro.

too young.

i know its hard to say no, but put your foot down.

apple ipad mini 16gb wifi, with case and screen protector because you can set child restrictions, and the fact that the app store is very large for learning.

also get the apple care for the ipad mini. covers up to two incidents for $49 replacement fee, just in case she decides to forget what shes holding.

Too young? Really dude?

It's not about spoiling the kid. The age we're living in now it's all technology driven. Best to get kids technologically minded to set them up for the world early.

I haven't owned either the kindle of ipad mini so I can't give a suggestion but I think it's a fantastic idea. Get their brain working.

yes really.

when she goes to school, what is she going to be learning off of? a book? um yeah :]

face it, books will be around for years and years to come. ready her for HER world.

its not about buying your kids the latest and coolest shit for them to play with, its about them learning.

an ipad is not learning per say, its more of a look what the fuck i have, suck on it. gaming/business/fun device.

no kid is going to grab an ipad and be like omg, i strive to learn!

all kids are going to grab a book and say, this is learning.

its basically about what social media stereotypes these items as.

ipads to the public are for fun.

books to the public are for learning.

its why they are called "baby books" not "baby ipads"

or childrens books.

theres a place for learning technology, and its not 6 years old.

but i guess your 6 year old daughter has an iphone too right emmet?

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

books? they are online, which is why I was looking to get her a tablet. She is very bright, I want something that challenges her when my wife and I aren't there to challenge her. I don't want it as a baby sitter, nor do I want it to be used from the time she gets home from 1st grade to bed... just a couple of hours... I still love watching her color and playing with barbies... but I want her to exceed, and anything I can to do help and not be overly pushy I will... I want her to have a childhood still, but she is currently setting the benchmark on all the states tests, so she is smart... I want to her to stay that way.

something that challengers her when you and your wife arent there.. thats when she backs out of that learning app, and switches to angry birds bro.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Plus it was on her Xmas list, and I love to spoil her... Daddy's girl!

@Sheena

My sister has lots of books, I read to her all the time. She also looks at them herself and try to read. But from what she learns on the kindle is downright amazing. I've never seen a kid her age as intelligent as her. I'll watch her use it and the things she does and learns from it blows me away.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

something that challengers her when you and your wife arent there.. thats when she backs out of that learning app, and switches to angry birds bro.

LOL maybe... and when I say not there, I meant it as not looking over her shoulder.

@Sheena

My sister has lots of books, I read to her all the time. She also looks at them herself and try to read. But from what she learns on the kindle is downright amazing. I've never seen a kid her age as intelligent as her. I'll watch her use it and the things she does and learns from it blows me away.

not to crush you mr dj.

but dont forget children change. everything you do now, leads what they want in their future. an ipad at 6, means a beamer at 16. (well not exactly, but you get what im saying)

conditioning children at a young age is important, if your doing and giving them everything now, you have to keep doing it until they leave the house. but remember again, if you keep the behavior up while their brains develop in this important young stage, it will get buried into their mind that at any time, you will buy them whatever, whenever.

the social media stereotype for children hasnt changed unfortunately. so anything that is out of the "norm" for the public, is wrong.

i think at about 10 or 11 they should slowly be introduced to the technology that surrounds us adults.

you either want your kids to learn, and work hard to get what they want in life.. (this is called being a dick to your child, but they will grow up and thank you and will be much better in the long run.)

i know myself was given everything i wanted as a child, even at 21 my parents still buy me things even if i dont ask for them.

although i did complete 4 years of college, i still didnt take it as serious as i should have. now that im slightly older, i know that i shouldnt have fucked around with my phone, or ipod in class, or games when i got home.

this isnt some sob story about my life, i was just using me as an example.

stick to the books, i know its mean, but you will be better off in the long run.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Well we are looking at switching her to a private school, on the advice from her teacher, as she is not challenged enough. I know it is best for her educationally as she loves the challenge, but socially I am debating... however, she will be socially with others like her also. The school requires a tablet and emphasizes the iPad. We have to Jan 7th to make the decision.

as for books and ebooks, I rather not have to go out and buy something or run to the library when we can have it on demand... just like my cable box :)

I am glad to see the varying opinions and took everyone's opinion and perspective seriously.

Thanks.

Do books no longer get the job done?

What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Project DB Battery Terminals

Axxess ASWC

Stinger HPM Everywhereeee

90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang

Well we are looking at switching her to a private school, on the advice from her teacher, as she is not challenged enough. I know it is best for her educationally as she loves the challenge, but socially I am debating... however, she will be socially with others like her also. The school requires a tablet and emphasizes the iPad. We have to Jan 7th to make the decision.

as for books and ebooks, I rather not have to go out and buy something or run to the library when we can have it on demand... just like my cable box ).gif

I am glad to see the varying opinions and took everyone's opinion and perspective seriously.

Thanks.

i went to a private school too, right after the 5th grade up until i graduated.

so speaking about the social aspects of it, i would say, as long as she makes friends, and you let her go out (at the appropriate age of course) she will be fine.

when shes young she will want to go to jasmines and sarahs house for barbie time of course.

being social in private schools are more about the parent than the kid, the kid is going to talk in class and at lunch and recess. but just make sure you keep the out of school contact at the same level.

back to the technology, the only gripe i have (and again stems back to age) is that the ipad mini does not have a very good display. the text on it is very blurry and not anywhere near what a 6 year old should be looking at.

i do have an ipad mini and can gather a screen shot if you would like vs a ipad (i have both)

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Archived