Sonic Electronix

help with PAC SWI-RC steering wheel control

posted this on an f-150 forum...but not much help since i'm trying to avoid buying another harness/module to get this as i feel i'm pretty close.

but i just bought an f-150 about a week ago, and it came with the steering controls for the radio. i have an alpine 9887 i installed, and i want to keep the volume controls (the other controls aren't as important since i don't listen to the radio or cd's) so i bought the pac swi-rc. the main installation is simple, just power and ground wires, except for the manual sucks nuts on the important details. i had to figure out that i need to use the green wire on the pac unit to the steering volume wire (since they didn't tell you which one to use), but my question is which wire on the truck do i tap it into? i saw on the site that my truck uses some bullshit CAN Bus network and that i need another module. but then i've seen people install this module successfully, so i'm hoping that i don't need one.

and my truck is a 2011 XLT super cab. i can't find any info anywhere. i did find this from the metra axxess site for the truck harness, so i'm thinking it might be pin 15 or 16 hopefully?

http://contentdocs.installernet.com/documents/vehicle/11385.pdf

just figured i'd ask before i tear it apart again. it'll be a bit before i get time to anyways

http://www.pac-audio.com/

Go to the support tab, and somewhere on the right side you'll find something that says steering wheel support or install guide, click that and you'll be able to select the product your using and the vehicle, which will bring you to a page for the install manual for your specific vehicle with your product, not like that crap directions that come with it

I'd link you directly to it but can't get to the support page on my iPhone for some reason

Edit:

Try this link if it works

http://pac-audio.com/SWI/SWIAppGuide.aspx?appguideid=568&swiModel=F-150&swiYear=2011&swiMake=Ford&swiProduct=SWI-RC&swiRadioManu=Alpine&swiOptions=

Looks like you will need an added module due to the canbus system

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13

lol well yeah i've been there several times. this is what they said when they tell me what color wire to use:

The SWI-RC's wire color we are going to use is . This is the wire on the SWI-RC, not the vehicle!

The other wires on the SWI-RC, white, yellow, orange wires are not used for your Ford F-150.

the manual doesn't even have that second line. that's how i ended up figuring it's the green wire, since that's the only one not mentioned. and yes i saw that module noted, but others have installed it successfully without other modules, so i was hoping to do the same. now....their trucks might have been a different base model than mine. that i'm not sure of

their paper instructions are just as bad as their web instructions. pretty pathetic really. if i would have known about the metra axxess before i bought this....i would have gotten that instead. actually...if i *need* to buy that other module, i think i'll still buy the axxess one instead. it has auto configuration and they seem to have their shit together more than PAC

We use both PAC and axxess controls at my work, depends on the vehicle on what we use

If your vehicle has the Microsoft sync system you'll most likely need the higher module axxess piece, which will also fully retain the sync system

I've never tried just a standard ASWC from axxess on a ford with a sync system so I wouldn't know how well it works

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13

yeah i have the sync system. and really...reading through the manual on it, it's neat but i'll never really use it. i'd only ever use the USB to charge a phone or play music...which i have 2 separate chargers and separate ports ready to play music through the 9887. so it's disconnected now. i don't have the stock nav system, no need for voice controls or to bluetooth my phone to it or anything :shrug:

Archived