DC Sound Lab

Do I have a blown sub/ coil?

Dont worry about anything else said here. Your question is do you have a blown coil. Take your dmm and set to ohms. Check each coil separately. If they dont match, and 1 is jumping all over the place, then you have a blown coil and need a recone.

Thanks again. I did that and when wiggled the tinsel lead on the one that was bouncing it actually held a steady number. That's what was weird

Heating up whats there should do it but adding more solder is never a bad idea lol

noticed you have the same car as me ( at least body style ) Where is a good spot to ground the amp?? I actually sanded down a little bit of the black bar underneath the rear seat, its what the seat belt is attached to

Also is there a good position for the subs, without sealing them off from the trunk?

Im going to throw together a single sub 1.75 cf enclosure tuned to 34 hz to test out my subs individually.. I have a AQ 1200D amp so @ 2 ohms it should see 700ish.. and what is the peak/cabin frequency of this car? When they were in my 96 grand am GT 2 door they were insane ( 147db 44hz on the tl off 2k rms ) But in this one they sound very "hollow" ?? I realize I may have a sub issue but just didnt know if the size of the car would make that much difference

if your not gonna seal them forward which is definately the loudest postition for that body style gp then rear firing port on driver side about 6 inches from trunk lid. I use the rear struts to ground to and have never had issues with bad grounds or ground loops.

I've only worked on 5 of these style gp's. The resonant freq is right at 47hz. Deadening doors is a gain. Deadening roof is a loss(but sounds good).

if your not gonna seal them forward which is definately the loudest postition for that body style gp then rear firing port on driver side about 6 inches from trunk lid. I use the rear struts to ground to and have never had issues with bad grounds or ground loops.

I've only worked on 5 of these style gp's. The resonant freq is right at 47hz. Deadening doors is a gain. Deadening roof is a loss(but sounds good).

Great man , thanks for the info. I think for now I might just pull the bad sub and build a nice sized single enclosure. Lots of good info in here for me to build off of now.

Thinking about 2 cubes net 16-18 in port/foot. Tuned to 32-34?