How Safe Is It To Set Your Gains With A DD-1 Using The -10db Track?

Max1636

I have always set my bass and mid/high amps using the 0db tracks with the DD-1. Only recently have I learned most people don't do it this way. I have just set my gains on my bass at -5db but have not tried it full volume yet. Provided the voltage stays up is there any risk of damage using the -10db track?

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

All song have different peaks and volumes so if you know the limits of your music and don't blast it full tilt on song that are louder than the rest you should be fine

Remember just cause you set with the dd-1 doemst meen your safe to go full tilt on every sinlge soong

It all comes down to common sense

Remember just cause you set with the dd-1 doemst meen your safe to go full tilt on every sinlge soong

This. And remember that a lot of tracks are clipped to begin with. Unless you go in and check clipping from audacity for every song, just be safe

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

This. And remember that a lot of tracks are clipped to begin with. Unless you go in and check clipping from audacity for every song, just be safe

But still it can't be unclip

Funny enough I set my gains at -5db today and after going for a drive, my alternator has died. The engine didn't start exactly right when I was driving home. Which was odd since even being a 17 year old car it starts perfectly every time. I looked back at my volt meter, and it read 12. So I pulled over and the alternator felt pretty hot, not as hot as the engine though so it may not have been that unusual, but I also checked all the wires and there was nothing wrong. I'll let it cool down overnight and see what happens tomorrow.

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

• 4 weeks later...

There is always a risk. The biggest issue is user error. Know your system and it's limits, and know when to turn it down. Shouldn't be an issue.

Steve uses the -10 track. I use the -15 track(although my sub level usually sits at -7 or -9 depending on the song, so it's like using the -5 track for me)

There is always a risk. The biggest issue is user error. Know your system and it's limits, and know when to turn it down. Shouldn't be an issue.

Steve uses the -10 track. I use the -15 track(although my sub level usually sits at -7 or -9 depending on the song, so it's like using the -5 track for me)

I should mention that's for sub amps. For my 4 channel, I ended up generating my own -2.5db track. I absolutely cannot stand the sound of clipping mids and highs.

I'm still having strange electrical issues but plan on adding another battery and alternator soon. I'm currently using the -10db track on my bass but still using the 0db track on my mids/high. They are loud enough as they are I believe.

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Archived