Sonic Electronix

New to car audio, want a system for my car, got questions!

Hello everyone! This is my first post on here, but I've been watching Steve's videos for some time and I suppose he's the reason for me getting into the car audio group.

I bought back in November a 2008 Pontiac G6 Coupe. Before I had bought that I bought some subs for my first car and never put them in. They're 2 10" Diamond D3 subs (400RMS I think) and a 400.1 Diamond mono amp.

The system, after my cousin put it in for me, sounded amazing! I bought a new box for them from Dynamic Audio in my area. But the bad part on mine was I bought them from a pawn shop (Cash Converters) and almost after a year of use, one of my subs rubber surround came loose all the way around. People told me I can put some caulk around it to fix it and others say to not even bother fixing it.

ANYWAYS, I had $1,000 saved up for a sound system for the car, but that money has sadly went to traffic tickets and eating out.

So now I have no money to spend but, if I can save up again, I was wondering what ideas and suggestions you all have.

I've been eyeballing sundown sa10's for a while now and was thinking for one route is use my christmas money on one of the sa10's to replace my broken one.

But I'd like to hear everyone's idea. I'm not trying to be in the competition level, it'll be for a daily driving system. I'd like to get door speakers, amps for the doors(possibly) and subs(replace my current amp?)

Would I need battery caps, a new alternator, or a new battery? I'm in the complete beginner entry level here so excuse the questions!

My stock speakers are doing well but I believe one of the 6x9's has gone to shit...lol.

Also I bought a Pioneer deh3400ub deck.

I guess there's really no money limit at this time, but I'd like to spend up to $1,000...maybe $1,500.

And any ideas for security systems?

I listen to all kinds of music. Rock, rap, hip hop, metal, metalcore, classical. Anything from no bass to retarded amounts of bass. I want to be loud and be able to be heard a block away. My parents can already hear me as I come down the street (radio's always on around 20)

All my stores around here only sell stuff like Pioneer, Rockford, kenwood, and all the best buy crap. I want good quality, durable, and not something I'd buy from walmart or where your average person goes to buy speakers.

Sorry for the lack of organization in my post....I probably left something out, but if any other information is needed please let me know! I've been wanting a nice, complete system for at least a year now...

The one thing I will recommend is to learn as much about what each part of the whole system does (ohm load, amps, voltage etc...) Then compare your friend's systems and research the internet for different products. Make sure that what you buy is compatible with each piece.

Sorry I can't say buy "XYZ" there are millions of combinations that will work.

I prefer older stuff so I can relive my good old days of the 1980s and 90s.

Good luck on your system.

It's hard to tell by your post what you're really going for. Anyone could hook a few horns up to a small amp and be heard from blocks away, that part is easy.

Getting what you really want, and really maxing out your system with the charging system that you currently have is going to take some research and probably a beginner system. You might want to start small and listen to determine exactly what you do and do not want in your big-time system.

Many people will tell you "definitely go with this company and no other" but another person may tell you the complete opposite. The advantage car audio enthusiasts have over some other fields is the selection of companies fighting for your dollar.

First and foremost, make sure your belt tensioner is in great condition (no deviation or movement while running) and that your belt is in great condition. Also, quickly do the Big 3 upgrade with 1/0 wire. This wire might seem like overkill, but you won't regret it. Rememer, there is no such thing as having too MUCH conductor, but there definitely is a such thing as too little. also, don't do 2 of the 3 and think the job is done. The Big 3 must be all three wire upgrades to be effective.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do.

SO your looking around maybe 1000 watts for subs and some good speakers right??You probaly will just need a better battery no need to get a bigger alternator for all that i just said.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

I like what I have now, but I want louder and harder hitting bass. Should I even bother door speakers right now? Or should I just replace the one 10" right now? or save up for both of them.

Any brands that really stick out? Or have better quality products? Are there brands that over price?

Any recommended websites to buy from?

Whatever you do, don't wire a sa-10 to that amp. Having a under powered amp that clips will blow your brand new speaker. If you want something quick to fill the hole to get a complete system back up and running, go get a few cheap 10's like pyle or something you can pick up cheap. Then go get some decent 6x9's when you can, that way you can run them off your head unit for now, then add an amp later. Don't skimp on your front stage now, because later you can add an amp and use the same speakers. Buy your sa-10's and a good quality amp that has a rms rating of around 1200 to 1500 rms when you can, but only install the matching components in a complete set. A good amp to run the sa-10's with 4 ohm coils would be a sundown sax-1200d, or saz-1500.

If you're feeling DOWN & OUT, it's time to get UP & IN

I bet he could get away with like a 700 rms bass amp and like 3-400 mids highs with big 3 and a nice bat up front and one in back uf his car has a decent size alt but good luck man im still learning so dont listen to me to much listen to the guys with more experiance ive only installed 2 systems but i have read lots lol

edit: nvm didnt see hes running 2 sa-10s missed that part i see a ho alt coming with that

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

3 Re audio 10's ported tuned to 36 hz

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Polk audio coax running off hu

Whatever you do, don't wire a sa-10 to that amp. Having a under powered amp that clips will blow your brand new speaker. If you want something quick to fill the hole to get a complete system back up and running, go get a few cheap 10's like pyle or something you can pick up cheap. Then go get some decent 6x9's when you can, that way you can run them off your head unit for now, then add an amp later. Don't skimp on your front stage now, because later you can add an amp and use the same speakers. Buy your sa-10's and a good quality amp that has a rms rating of around 1200 to 1500 rms when you can, but only install the matching components in a complete set. A good amp to run the sa-10's with 4 ohm coils would be a sundown sax-1200d, or saz-1500.

the first part is wrong, you can hook up a SMD AA woofer to a 400.1amp and be fine, people only cause underpowered amps to clip because it isn't as loud as they want, since it is underpowered.. most people's solution is to crank up the gain to make the difference. If the gain is correct the subs wont be clipped and wont cause any harm, but since they're underpowered it wont be very loud and he would be disappointed at most.

Driving my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 MEGA cab with the 5.7 hemi.

Audio: Two 10" Alpine Type R's ( 1000rms models )

Hifonics BRZ 2400.1D @ .5 ohm

Two Kinetic 1400 batteries ( soon to have XS power under hood )

Tsunami 1/0 Awg wire throughout truck.

Stock Infinity 7 speaker system ( Junk ) soon to be replaced, probably all Alpine.

Exterior: 17"Dick cepek rims with 33" Toyo MT tires

Bushwacker fender flares

Magnaflow true duel exhaust

LED tail lights with Projector headlights

Plasti-dip fun coming soon!

if you don't want anything crazy, look to stay in the 800rms range, you wont need much ( if any ) electrical upgrades which can save you good chunk of change. Since you brought up sundown already, why not look into a single SA-12 with a nice ported box ( other guys on here can help you with designing im sure ) and a good 600rms amp ( sundown, audioque, hifonics ) with some good wire, atleast 4guage wire. i'm sure you could get the woofer and an amp for under 400$. If you get a good designed custom box, i'm sure you would be much happier with it compared to the prefab enclosure with the 2 diamond 10s.

Driving my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 MEGA cab with the 5.7 hemi.

Audio: Two 10" Alpine Type R's ( 1000rms models )

Hifonics BRZ 2400.1D @ .5 ohm

Two Kinetic 1400 batteries ( soon to have XS power under hood )

Tsunami 1/0 Awg wire throughout truck.

Stock Infinity 7 speaker system ( Junk ) soon to be replaced, probably all Alpine.

Exterior: 17"Dick cepek rims with 33" Toyo MT tires

Bushwacker fender flares

Magnaflow true duel exhaust

LED tail lights with Projector headlights

Plasti-dip fun coming soon!

Archived