Second Skin Audio

Alpine SWR-12D4 enclosure help

Finedragon

Hey everyone. Long time lurker first time poster. You guys have really helped me out in the past so thank you. You will have to excuse me for my n00bness. I have been searching for a while on here and I have not found all the answers I am looking for. Actually I am a lot more uncertain than before I started searching. Which is good instead of me building a box I won't like.

I am attempting my first box build. I have only used prefab in the past. I have been trying to find the best setup/dimensions for my situation. I ordered a single Alpine Type R 12" SWR-12D4 and an Alpine MRP-M500 for it. It will be wired @ 2Ohms. Yes I know it is half the rated RMS power for the sub but I have plans on my electrical upgrade but it will be some time before that happens. At that point I will add another R and the proper power for them. Also this will be going in an old body style Suburban (1998) so I have plenty of room so no max dimension restrictions for the most part.

I listen to a little bit of everything and prefer a ported enclosure over sealed. Mostly Hip Hop and Metal. I like it low but would really like a fuller range for daily listening to several genres. I like SQ but lean towards SPL. I know I can't have both but would like it loud but not just sound horrible (I know their tradeoffs). I feel a box tuned to ~35Hz would be optimal from what I have read here. I found this info and feel it is close to what will fit the bill but shortened the port length to tune it a little higher than the original config of the post. Here is what I came up with.

Click for Full

swr-12d4-1tmb.png

My concern is will this be optimal to get the most out of the sub with this particular amp in the amount of cabin space I have? I had an Alpine Type X and MRX-M100 in this same truck at one point but in a prefab box. It sounded good but I know it could have sounded a lot better in a correctly tuned box. This time around I want to get it right.

Is there something I am missing or any suggestions that would perform better?

Here is the SWR-12D2 specs recommended from Alpine:

Click for Full

swr-12d2specstmb.png

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've built many type r 12 boxes, in fact my friend still has the best performing one I built, can't remember the measurements, I'll try to get them to you, think it was in the area of 3.25 cut ft tuned to 36 HZ, it flexed all 4 doors of his Camry in and out drastically, and was by far the loudest single type r 12 I've heard, you should have seen the audio shop we got the sub and amp from jaws drop. I put a 1k rms alpine class d on it.

XS-power1.jpg

I see. That is a big box. It looks good though. Ok now I have been reading several threads and have got a few things crossed (sorry remember new and learning). I know having lower watts pushing it will benifit from a larger box. What are the downsides/upsodes to a 3.25 cube vs a 2 cube? Does the size effect how the sub handles low tones vs the higher ones or is 35hz the same in a small vs larger. I would assube it would be the same no matter the size I just thought I would ask anyways. Sorry if that was a dumb question.

I see. That is a big box. It looks good though. Ok now I have been reading several threads and have got a few things crossed (sorry remember new and learning). I know having lower watts pushing it will benifit from a larger box. What are the downsides/upsodes to a 3.25 cube vs a 2 cube? Does the size effect how the sub handles low tones vs the higher ones or is 35hz the same in a small vs larger. I would assube it would be the same no matter the size I just thought I would ask anyways. Sorry if that was a dumb question.

Enclosures made way above the net volume the subs are designed for tend to perform peaky and therefore not musical, also they get lots of group delay which sometimes translates in some lack of definition, if you are looking for loud above all then you probably are not going to be bothered by any of it. Big boxes are very efficient but if you were to upgrade amp then you must be careful specially when playing below tuning, engage the subsonic filter on the amp.

Archived