Alt or Battery first?

,One thing tho, if its at all possible, I would suggest an alt with more output. Your 2000wrms amp will try to draw somewhere around 200amps, or somewhere close to that. Then add in your amp for the fronts. Then add in your accessories (lights etc). Then add in the depreciation value caused by heat, wire resistance, battery ESR etc. You might be left with only 140-150amps, maybe less. See how much more it would be for a 200a alt, or even a 220a. Might be worth it down the road, especially if its a lttle $$$ more..

If that amp starts pulling 200A + of power, something is wrong. Also, he did say he was going for a Singer 250 alt.

Well I hate for any arguments about this, I appreciate all the help but I just got paid two checks at once and now have an extra $750.. I have found I can get a DC power 180 amp alt and a D3400 at the same time... Will this alternator be powerful enough to power a 2000 watt system? Cause I'm soon planning on getting a Rockford T1500.1 and a Fi Bl 12.. is 180 enough??

had you read this post? He asks if its okay to get a 180a alt for 2kWrms system.

• 2 weeks later...

Hell yeah dude, Mike Singer makes some really nice alts! They're right up there with DC Power and Mechman. I would definitely buy Singer over the other 2. And he has great prices. Glad to see you got what you wanted and are able to get both at the same time. Let us know how it turns out and which combo you go with.

Get the battery first. I run 3k true rms on a stock 90A alternator a XS power D5100 and stock battery. Nothing helps your amps more than reserves.

and the battery will be cheaper and most likely easier to install than a quality alternator

to all those who say alternator first. yes technically that should be the first thing done but with that system the stock alt should be able to keep up recharging his system for the duration he is likely to play. unless he drains the battery completely and continues to play that is only time he will run into problems.

second of all he is not doing competition? or is he?

OP if you are only playing music your rockford amp will be lucky to draw 60 amps. plus rockford amps such as 750.1 are hella efficient. I was only drawing 30AMPs out of my T600-4. which stated it put out 800 rms which theoritically would be approx 80A draw.

second your higs amp I bet is barely drawing 20 amps maybe 25 amps. in the end the impedences which you run your amps at effect how much electrical you need. but with what you have the big 3 and a D3400 will be plenty to run that. The d3400 alone can run that system. I could see your voltage dropping into the low 13s maybe high 12s unless something else is wrong. the best thing you can do is have good wiring OFC preferred. good grounds. the big 3, and a stock battery in addition to D3400. that will be plenty.

you will get out cheaper and youll still be able to bump.

An alt should be the first electrical upgrade after the big three. In no way is adding a battery going to benefit his electrical as much as a high output alt will. The battery is ONLY in a car to help start the car and use as a reserve when too much current is drawn from the alt. The alt is what powers the entire car electrically until its capability is exceeded. Point being if you have an alt that produces more amperage than is being drawn the battery can wait until he runs more power. End of story.

Little update.. I ordered my Singer 250 amp alternator yesterday! Great service from mike so far! Can't wait to get it in!

-1994 Dodge Dakota

-Lifted

-Murdered out

-Pro comp beadlock rims and General Grabber At2 tires

-Rockford T1D212

-Rockford 750.1 at 910w RMS

-Focal Solid 4 at 75x4

-Rockford T1 6.5 up front

-Rockford Punch 5x7 in rear

-Sony BT38U headunit with bluetooth,etc

-Rockford 4 Gauge

-Singer 250 amp alt!

-Race accessory HIDS

-Soon to come-

D3400

Kicker 2500.1

Fi BL 12[/font]

may I ask what the price was for it? I'm interested in getting one for my other car...

They are priced per car model and engine, but for my 94 Dakota with the 3.9L V6 was $437 for a 250 amp w/ white powdercoat and a carbon fiber pulley wheel cover.

-1994 Dodge Dakota

-Lifted

-Murdered out

-Rockford T1D212

-Focal Solid 4 at 75x4

-Rockford 4 Gauge

-Singer 250 amp alt!

-Race accessory HIDS

-Soon to come-

D3400

Kicker 2500.1

Fi BL 12[/font]

Alt first, won't have to deal with finding a location for a extra battery, and with that little amount of amperage pull with a 200 or higher the alt itself can pretty much sustain all the draw.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Also, IT TAKES POWER TO MAKE POWER, that is why having a good alt and 3 batteries is better than a stock alt on 5 batteries. You will maintain voltage better with the ho alt due to the fact it charges the batteries more effectively and the ho alt is meant for abuse, stock 80a alts are not.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Thats a great price! Mine for my Jeep was almost $600 for a 260a.

Got any pics?

Not yet, Parts are still being shipped to mike, I will post some as soon as I get them!

-1994 Dodge Dakota

-Lifted

-Murdered out

-Rockford T1D212

-Focal Solid 4 at 75x4

-Rockford 4 Gauge

-Singer 250 amp alt!