Sundown Audio

2 SA-12's one a Kicker ZX2500.1 too much power?

I sort of agree with smashedz, manufacturers rate subs certain power for a reason. Just because other people can throw a crap ton of power at certain subs doesn't mean anybody can. Your problem sounds like an excursion problem though which is weird... because when I had my 4 sa-12's I could full tilt them on a sweep that went down to 9hz, never had a problem with my tinsels due to "slack". Sounds like a problem with your box.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

sucks to hear man! hope you get it worked out!

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Lol guy comes in wanting to throw twice the rated power at his subs and everyone tells him to go for it.. OP. when your shit blows blame these guys. Just cause someone on YouTube can do it doesn't mean you can. I run a set of sa12s on a bc2k. Can't see much more coming from these things. Nice subs but your box will need to be designed around everything else. I'm not saying it can't be done just be careful if you want your stuff to last.

Funny how the op has been running the SA's for how long now? And he only broke the tinsel leads.

My opinion(not like it fuckin matters), the sub is rated at what it's rated at for a reason. We all know the coils, even though only 2.5", can take a ton of heat and abuse. Double the rated power for 5 months, I say you did a good job. Some may have lasted longer, some shorter.

Heres the rub: You can't really shit talk the sub for busting tinsel leads when you ran double the RMS rated power at the sub. You can call Sundown and discuss your dissatisfaction, my bet is they'll say," Well, we rated the 2.5" coiled sub at 600W RMS, AND it will take that all day every day. You chose to run 1200+ Watts to each? You should have bought a Z series".

Edited by CleanSierra
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Get the recones. Can't be mad at em. They took the power like a champ.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2012 GMC SIerra CC

System Build

Headunit--Stock

Sub Amp--DC 2.0k

Subs--2-SA8v2's

Enclosure--Need one made!!

Highs Amp--Sundown SAX-100.4

Front Highs--Rockford Fosgate T2652-S

Rear--Sundown Neo Pro 6.5

XS Power D2400--XS D3400

No Big Three yet!

http://www.youtube.c...ser/raolito1980

• 6 months later...

Just got my recones done :D did it all from parts, back in buisness, its no ones fault, part of it was cause I accidenlty turned bass boost on and didn't realize it and clipped the shit out of them for about a week, burner 1 tinsel lead, then I put the 1 working 12 I'm the box alone with 3.4 cubes for it, was crazy loud, seemed more them 2 in that box, but blew it from crazy excursion, which I wanted cause i was gonna recone them both

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)