bouncing around an idea ... need oppinions!

michigancapri92

well i have been throwing around the idea to have in my edge no subwoofers in the back !! i am going to put some small long excursion subwoofers in the kick panels to keep all the sound up front!

http://cdtstore.com/subwoofers/qes680.htm

these are the speakers i will be using and i have a few questions ... what do you guys think of these speakers and also should i run them stereo or mono ?

let me know what you guys think ... i think i would like to do this because it will keep the sound up front and i also would like to enjoy making my own kick panels ... and lastly .... the boss who pays for half this car said if car audio takes away cargo space its my arse :-)

to add a little more details i will be running these at 80hz LPF with a 12db roll off and the doors will be these

http://cdtstore.com/midwoofers/hd_m6.htm

these will be ran at at 50hz HPF with a 6db roll off so in the real lows the 4 speakers should work together to make some decent low bass to make up for having no actual large subwoofer

please let me know if my thinking is wrong because something tells me it is but im just trying to think outside the box to have good bass without an actual subwoofer

You will need to vent those drivers out the fenderwells to make up for the inadequate airspace ... meaning you will have to drill into the fenderwells

I would Maximise your doors before I tried this ... Just my suggestion here

If it was me, I would see if I could fit those drivers you have suggested for the kick pannels in your doors ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

^ if Randal says it, bank on it.

I have thought about doing something like your original idea myself, the only issue is that there just isn't enough air space for proper low end extension with boxes in the kicks. Well- there is, but it would involve major work- like Randal said: venting madness. Or... aperiodic vents, or actually building enclosures under the floor pans.

Seems as if the doors are larger and have more internal volume. Randal's Idea sounds nice. What are you doing for mids and tweets again? Why not try to put mid and tweeter really close together up on the dash or A-Pillar. Could help with imaging by raising them and allowing you to aim them better. Then put subs in the doors- no highs to pull your soundstage down, etc...

As far as Mono -vs- stereo; I would wire things where you can change them easily, but would try stereo first.

Edit:

Sorry, missed the second link on the mid.

Could be too big to put on the A-Pillar. lol Maybe still like Randal Said- go with the mids you have picked out in the doors and see how you like things without a subwoofer *GASP*. If that still isn't enough, then maybe put the Subs in the doors and the mids in kicks? You can still work the imaging with the kicks, the smaller enclosure would lower the bass output of the mids. Haha... that could have you going 3-way up front though... with woofers in the doors! haha Be careful- this his how things get out of hand. lol

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

We'll I will be still going 3 way with a 4" and tweeter in the a-pillar just trying to find a place to have more bass ... but the doors should still be good enough to produce plenty of bass. Just that more bass to satisfy my bass head would be nice haha

We'll I will be still going 3 way with a 4" and tweeter in the a-pillar just trying to find a place to have more bass ... but the doors should still be good enough to produce plenty of bass. Just that more bass to satisfy my bass head would be nice haha

Archived