Second Skin Audio

Fiberglassing Question

TRTC360

I'm fiberglassing the t-top area in my 93 transam for a pair of XFL 12's on my DC 3.5k, anyways if I were to build the box out of wood I would use 3/4 birch and it would be double baffled, how thick or how many layers of 4oz matt should I put down to make it just as strong as 3/4 birch? i've been thinking of making the mold with 1 or 2 layers then pulling it out and taking it to a local boat yard where they have those special fiberglass guns, should make it a hell of a lot easier then laying down 5+ layers to make it strong.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

You mean the area the T-tops are stored when they are off the car so the mullet can fly in the wind right? Not putting 12s overhead right?

Disregard the mullet comment, it's not directed at you, much love bro. I just get a very particular visual in my head of a T-top car and the types of guys that USED to buy them back in the day.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

You mean the area the T-tops are stored when they are off the car so the mullet can fly in the wind right? Not putting 12s overhead right?

Disregard the mullet comment, it's not directed at you, much love bro. I just get a very particular visual in my head of a T-top car and the types of guys that USED to buy them back in the day.

lol yes the area where the t-tops are stored

'93 Firebird Formula V8

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

A chop gun is wicked, a couple users on here have them. The TahoeFixSSD kid has one(along with WICKED skills to fab anything).

To answer your question, to make its as strong as birch or MDF, I'd guess 7-8 layers

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

thanks for the input sierra, I was guessing more like 4-6 layers but I may be wrong, can someone else chime in on what they think?

'93 Firebird Formula V8

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Come on someone please chime in!

'93 Firebird Formula V8

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

4 oz. mat is thick man....personally I would think 4-6 layers would be fine with that thickness....Normally Im a 1.5 oz. guy myself, and laying down about 10 layers of that is strong as hell.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

put as many layers as you think. do 4 layers, let it dry. then see how it feels. no ones gonna give you the perfect answer and everyone will have a different answer. JUST DO IT!

TEAM SUNDOWN HAWAIIHAWAIICARAUDIO.NET

150Db Club

160Db club in the future

I see krakin as a threat

shit, now that I think about it, it may be 1.5oz, I think 4oz is what I read at the store and told my dad we should use that instead haha

'93 Firebird Formula V8

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Archived