Second Skin Audio

Price estimate for a box.

Ryan929

Ive seen boxes cost far north of that 450 figure. think about the guys paying 75 bucks for a design then spending another 100 bucks in materials. now say you want to cover it. another 20 bucks for glue. Cost of your material which would be another 50 buckjs plus and you are at your 250 limit. Now imagine someone needs to build that box for them. I guess their time isnt worth anything because its at your limit. Don't forget to factor in the cost of electricity the wear and tear of your tools etc that a shop owner has to cover and you can see why things easily get to be close to that figure. I know the last time I asked for a price of a box from a shop it was 600 bucks plus I had to provide the design and this was back in 2003 when you had to design on paper with no torres.

exactly what he said i quoted the kid high not knowing what all would be needed for his box to be built. im not going to tell a kid the cost of raw materials to get his hopes up

Yeah, i'm thinking he meant shop prices. But still.. I build boxes for people all of the time and I tend to try and stay under $100 if it's 1 sheet. Hell.. people think their work is worth a lot more than it really is. If you've already got the glue, and already got the screws.. what's a $26 mdf sheet and a couple hours of your time REALLY worth??

EDIT: whoops.. I meant in reference to the guy who said 450 sorry about that didn't see multiple pages, lol!

i guess it depends on the quality of your work. i spent a whole day building a ported box for 2 10's. making sure all screws are countersunk perfectly and rounding all the corners and sanding all the edges perfectly smooth and making it look awesome with the flush mount double baffle. you can definitely tell i spent more then a couple hours on it.

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Yeah, i'm thinking he meant shop prices. But still.. I build boxes for people all of the time and I tend to try and stay under $100 if it's 1 sheet. Hell.. people think their work is worth a lot more than it really is. If you've already got the glue, and already got the screws.. what's a $26 mdf sheet and a couple hours of your time REALLY worth??

EDIT: whoops.. I meant in reference to the guy who said 450 sorry about that didn't see multiple pages, lol!

i guess it depends on the quality of your work. i spent a whole day building a ported box for 2 10's. making sure all screws are countersunk perfectly and rounding all the corners and sanding all the edges perfectly smooth and making it look awesome with the flush mount double baffle. you can definitely tell i spent more then a couple hours on it.

I can knock out a box in about 4 hours, consistently. Yes, my holes are all countersunk with fuller countersinks and all of my edges are routed and smoothed. That sure as hell doesn't account for the glue drying time though. :) I guess I enjoy working on the boxes so much and learning more that I knock out a great deal for everyone who comes along.

2012 TORed Challenger

4 Alpine Type-R 10

1 Brutus 2400.1

20' Knu 1/0 OFC

1 XS Power D1200

i8YxD.jpg

Archived