horsepower estimate on 5.3l ls engine

Pull the heads off and port them. Its just the ancient push rod design, so you can actually work with it yourself. Then you can port it yourself with some time, a dremel, and some sandpaper. Also, if you arent doing a cam you could do 1.7 ratio rockers and push rods to get a little more out of it. They are both very cost effective and pull quite a bit of horsepower out of it. Also since you are pulling the heads off you could run thinner gaskets since you will have to replace the gaskets anyways, i think that will bump compression like .12. not much. Maybe mill the heads for a good comp boost?

You are absolutely correct, LS motors love a good set of heads and milling the head will create higher compression but be careful about how high you go because you may end up requiring premium fuel so figure that cost into what you want to do. After porting the heads or getting a higher flowing set of heads get a big cam and a 3000 rpm or higher stall converter and this will throw down some good numbers. (LS motors love boost too)

Ive heard from all the guys who are really into ls motors around town that you can pick up a pair of ls1 heads for about 300 per head. then you can have them milled slightly (I think around 50 per head?? not sure) and then P&P them yourself. If you cant afford the cam or just dont like cams you can always get the 1.72 ratio rockers and do the calculations to see how much lift you will gain out of it. ive heard of people gaining 15-20hp on c5 vettes. They also say if you go with 1.8 ratio rockers you get to much valve lash and bounce and you end up losing a bit making it act like a 1.6. Also the dyno tune is a MUST. Or alteast make sure you tune it correctly with a good wide band afr sensor. My friends mustang has an aftermarket carb he put on there and i almost choked to death riding behind him that and the fact that he gets terrible mpg. I say thay a lot because i havent actually done much with an engine except read a ton of forums and articles, except for P&P, ive done that and it is easy... but time consuming

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0l-Rockford Fosgate 6x8s 3-ways- Sundown Audio SA-8- 3.64ft3 tline box in naked mdf- Kicker zx750.1- 0/1 Gauge wires- Pioneer head unit stuff to come:16 steve meade 18's7 rockford fosgate t15000bdcpa fleet of escaladeslol jk new car?

well what would you guys recommend for an efi setup? is the holley one any good?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/550-500/10002/-1

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

Pull the heads off and port them. Its just the ancient push rod design, so you can actually work with it yourself. Then you can port it yourself with some time, a dremel, and some sandpaper. Also, if you arent doing a cam you could do 1.7 ratio rockers and push rods to get a little more out of it. They are both very cost effective and pull quite a bit of horsepower out of it. Also since you are pulling the heads off you could run thinner gaskets since you will have to replace the gaskets anyways, i think that will bump compression like .12. not much. Maybe mill the heads for a good comp boost?

You are absolutely correct, LS motors love a good set of heads and milling the head will create higher compression but be careful about how high you go because you may end up requiring premium fuel so figure that cost into what you want to do. After porting the heads or getting a higher flowing set of heads get a big cam and a 3000 rpm or higher stall converter and this will throw down some good numbers. (LS motors love boost too)

Not to hijack the thread but I was looking at (2nd gen c5 z06 cam) 1.85 ratio rockers. With the stock 204/218 .551/.547 117.5 (115-120) LSA cam and the 1.85 ratio rockers what kind of lift would that be putting out? What is it putting out with the 1.7 ratio rockers? What kind of camshaft lift equivalent would be need with the 1.7 ratio rockers to achieve the same lift as the 1.85 ratio rockers? Alrighty thats all for today i guess... lol

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0l-Rockford Fosgate 6x8s 3-ways- Sundown Audio SA-8- 3.64ft3 tline box in naked mdf- Kicker zx750.1- 0/1 Gauge wires- Pioneer head unit stuff to come:16 steve meade 18's7 rockford fosgate t15000bdcpa fleet of escaladeslol jk new car?

Archived