can someone pease eplain the 5-4-3 rule?

then instead of a 20 port switch, go to 5 port gigabit switches at each of the locations.

2 lines coming in means 2 modems.

1 router per modem for access to wireless devices. for a total of 2 routers.

as many switches and wireless repeaters as required for proper wire length and placement.

get rid of everything else. it will make your life MUCH better.

seems to me that you strung a bunch of shit together and really had no idea what the proper options were.

:peepwall:

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

Hmm that could be the problem 'cause out the top of my head a modem only gives one DHCP ip adress and the router creates multiple ip adresses from the ip adress given from the modem.

Take a look at you're IP adresses

at every router you're DHCP gives ip adresses in a certain range.

Let's say you've this:

First router 192.168.1.1

gives IP adresses from 1 to 150

you're second router can't give this adresses to that's going to conflict with eachother.

so the second router should create IP adresses from 151 to 300 (151 just to be sure)

Hmm that could be the problem 'cause out the top of my head a modem only gives one DHCP ip adress and the router creates multiple ip adresses from the ip adress given from the modem.

Take a look at you're IP adresses

at every router you're DHCP gives ip adresses in a certain range.

Let's say you've this:

First router 192.168.1.1

gives IP adresses from 1 to 150

you're second router can't give this adresses to that's going to conflict with eachother.

so the second router should create IP adresses from 151 to 300 (151 just to be sure)

i think i get what you are saying. you cant have 2 devices fighting for the same ip address

© crispy_chick3n inc

yep that's right.

sorry maybe explained it a little bit complicated lol.

But what sheena say's is what I would do.

Only I would still use the other routers for more wifi coverage by connecting them to the router that's connected to the modem and shut down the DHCP server.

so you're second router works as a access point.

yep that's right.

Only I would still use the other routers for more wifi coverage by connecting them to the router that's connected to the modem and shut down the DHCP server.

i suggested wireless repeaters instead of other routers.

wireless repeaters if you dont know what they are.. they repeat the wireless signal.. wirelessly, you just need a power source and they are 3 step setup and then they boost the signal from the original router.

so with that in mind.. i would:

2 lines coming to the house

2 modems

2 routers (1 per modem)

as many switches and wireless repeaters as NEEDED.

wireless function DISABLED on the modems (if they supply it, because the routers will take over from there)

wireless function ENABLED on both routers

wireless repeaters should be added IF NECESSARY. i know in my house wireless n 2.4GHz covers the entire house with max connection. (tested on ipad, and ipad mini)

wired gigabit switches where necessary.

this will simplify all connection issues. the routers will work as needed and you can set up the wireless repeaters to copy ALL wireless settings off of the routers, including SSID names, passwords, mac addresses, everything. it just boosts the signal.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

if the internet is too slow, you will have to contact your ISP and upgrade your internet service.

all aftermarket equipment that i listed that does all the traffic (routers and switches) will not limit how many devices you can connect UNLESS otherwise stated on the router/switch.

obviously a switch with 5 ports can only accompany 5 ethernet cables.

and most routers should accompany at least over 25 devices. (guesstimate)

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

yep that's right.

wireless repeaters if you dont know what they are.. they repeat the wireless signal.. wirelessly, you just need a power source and they are 3 step setup and then they boost the signal from the original router.

2 modems

2 routers (1 per modem)

wireless function DISABLED on the modems (if they supply it, because the routers will take over from there)

wireless repeaters should be added IF NECESSARY. i know in my house wireless n 2.4GHz covers the entire house with max connection. (tested on ipad, and ipad mini)

this will simplify all connection issues. the routers will work as needed and you can set up the wireless repeaters to copy ALL wireless settings off of the routers, including SSID names, passwords, mac addresses, everything. it just boosts the signal.

def an option, but not till i get paid again. at 80 a pop for a cheap cisco repeater, if i can make what i have work for me, at least for a little bit, ill be happy. the only reason i need all the routers is because this house is old as shit. limestone foundation, masonry work all around, and when it was updated last they used plaster for the walls. all materials that dont allow for signal to pass through good enough to be useable.

© crispy_chick3n inc

if the internet is too slow, you will have to contact your ISP and upgrade your internet service.

all aftermarket equipment that i listed that does all the traffic (routers and switches) will not limit how many devices you can connect UNLESS otherwise stated on the router/switch.

obviously a switch with 5 ports can only accompany 5 ethernet cables.

and most routers should accompany at least over 25 devices. (guesstimate)

i cant remember exactly what speed i pay for, but i do know its one of the fatser connections that at&t offers

© crispy_chick3n inc

yep that's right.

2 modems

2 routers (1 per modem)

Off course I know what they are.

But I was thinking about what he has.

With your suggestion he has to go and buy more stuff but little bit easier to setup.

With my suggestion he can keep the stuff he has now only little harder to setup.

Archived