can someone pease eplain the 5-4-3 rule?

im just trying to get my home network running better. the network consists of 2 modem/routers (router function shut off on both) 4 routers, 3 switches, 2 hubs, and a metric butt fu@c ton of cat 5. my problem is that on every switch and hub the collision light is flashing like crazy. i thought that since all of them were flashing i should go back to the source, and cables from the source. so i replaced the cables from both modems to all 4 routers. same problem. well i was doing some digging on the internet and i found some info on the 5-4-3 rule, but i didn't quite understand everything. its gotten to the point where the switch in the garage doesn't even show a network connection anymore. im going to try a new cat-5 from the router on the far side of the house to the switch and see if that helps. im just confused, or am i just overreacting? it doesn't seem to me like a red light labeled collision should be flashing so fast it looks like it is on constantly.

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

i live in a house with 4 other people, and we all love our internet devices, and we all love a fast internet connection. it started with the switch in the garage, and just kindof built off of that in the past year. lol. i made a little list of all the devices connected to the network not all of the devices are connected at the same time though.

3 internet tv's - wired

4 ps3's - wired

3 xbox 360's - wired

8 pc's - wired

3 iPad's - wifi

2 android tablets - wifi

11 cell phones (no bullshit. only 5-7 online at any given time) - wifi (not sketch at all)

1 kindle - wifi

i have 1 pc that has 2 wired connections. one from each modem. bridged connection

looking at the list its kind of scary. i dont know if it will be fixable, or if im going to have to spend a day or so ripping it all out and redoing everything. i hope not, but if thats what it takes im willing to do so.

© crispy_chick3n inc

How did you set up your routers?

the problem might be in how you installed them, if you don't do it right they're going to work against eachother..

Only one of them in the same circle is allowed to regulate the DHCP on the other routers this function should be turned of.

This makes you're second router in the same circle working like an access point.

EDIT: I agree with MRSkippy, I think you're doing a little bit to much equipement on your network man. It could work ofcourse but don't know if you would really notice if you cut out some stuff there man.

We life with 4 people and we have 2 routers 1 modem. 6 pc's connected, 1 ipad, 4 iphones. 2 Tv's, 2ps3's

and those are all on the wifi except 1 ps3

and I agree you've a lot stuff connected but why the switches and hubs I mean you've 4 routers connect straight to them?

yo what you are saying is pick a router and use that one as the DHCP server, and shut the others DHCP off? now would that be for all of them, or one router per line comming into the house? i have 2 lines that run to the house.

© crispy_chick3n inc

destroy all the routers except ONE good wireless N 5GHz one for ALL wireless devices.

invest in ONE good switch with 20 ports and go from there.

your home network is a fucking headache so i stopped reading, but its WAY more complicated than it needs to be.

add wireless repeaters as needed for wireless coverage.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

yo what you are saying is pick a router and use that one as the DHCP server, and shut the others DHCP off? now would that be for all of them, or one router per line comming into the house? i have 2 lines that run to the house.

Since you've 2 lines coming in I guess you've 2 routers on every line?

do you've both routers connect straight to the modem or 1 modem second on router?

destroy all the routers except ONE good wireless N 5GHz one for ALL wireless devices.

invest in ONE good switch with 20 ports and go from there.

your home network is a fucking headache so i stopped reading, but its WAY more complicated than it needs to be.

add wireless repeaters as needed for wireless coverage.

i know its a headache, i set it up. lol

the problem with the big ass switch is i have different areas that i want multiple wired connections, and i would like to keep the running of a shit ton of long ass cables everywhere to a minimum. (as much as possible at least)

© crispy_chick3n inc

Since you've 2 lines coming in I guess you've 2 routers on every line?

do you've both routers connect straight to the modem or 1 modem second on router?

2 routers connected straight back to the modem on both modems

© crispy_chick3n inc

then instead of a 20 port switch, go to 5 port gigabit switches at each of the locations.

2 lines coming in means 2 modems.

1 router per modem for access to wireless devices. for a total of 2 routers.

as many switches and wireless repeaters as required for proper wire length and placement.

get rid of everything else. it will make your life MUCH better.

seems to me that you strung a bunch of shit together and really had no idea what the proper options were.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Archived